Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

All over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, all over is one of the five new symbols in 2009 standard, it means the profile of the surface tolerance zone applies in all views simultaneously; this controls size, angle and location of surfaces

SeasonLee

Yes.

3.3.25 All-Over Symbol
This symbol indicates that a profile tolerance or other specification shall apply all over the three-dimensional profile of a part. See Figs. 3-11, 3-20, and 8-8 and para. 8.3.1.6.

The note: "ALL OVER" may also be used in place of the symbol.

fcsuper:
Those words "or other specification" in 3.3.25 of Y14.5-2009 will cause questions, controversy, and disagreements for years, until the next revision. Just like the deletion of the word "profile" did in para 3.3.18 of Y14.5M 1994 did for the "all around" symbol.

My buddy KENAT: Can you get that place you work at to buy you a new 2009 version of the standard?

You must be joking Ron;-).

I might be able to but it's not a fight I fancey. I let Jon fight those fights, with his departure my main plan is to keep my head down. I plan on maintaining my own integrity but I'm not going to force it on others as I'll have no back up if they don't agree. I'll let manufacturing fight the good fight for the most part, I tried working with them on it a little but it wasn't easy.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back