Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Allowable Loads and Moments in Head Nozzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmechanical

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2006
VE
We need the maximum loads in moments for a 36"-150# nozzle located at the top of a column. The WRC-107/297 is only for shell nozzles. The loads charts available for is up to 30". Please tell me how we do to get these values.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mmechanical,

The 36" nozzle is quite a large size for a nozzle in top of the column, however, you probably don't get the piping loads for a 36" pipe size. Usually, the loads imposed on that nozzle are much lower and you should work with estimated operating loads instead of theoretical, design loads, or you should discuss with your piping designer to limit the loads, by clever piping lay-out. Usually, the FEA is not warranted for such simple nozzle load, but you are the final judge for the complexity of external loads and the feasibility of an expensive FEA.

Cheers,

gr2vessels

Extrapolate the charts? My simple answer is NO. Have you looked at the WRC 107 charts? Some of them are not monotonic increasing/decreasing, so how would you go about extrapolating? Too dangerous for my liking....

Thanks for your answer. We have a chart, which I don't now the autor, this chart has a formula, base on that formula we will calculate the allowable load in the nozzle.

Double check the application scope of your formula. If it's just an empirical one, more cautions need to take. Based on years experiences on local stress calcs around a large opening, I do not trust any analytical formula at all. If there is no thermal loads, FEPipe or Nozpro is a good choice.

BTW, what is the ratio of the d/D (nozzle dia / head dia)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back