Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alodine/Chem Film Defect 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter the Engineer

Mechanical
May 7, 2021
US
Hello,

I recently received multiple parts with the same kind of defect after being treated with chem film and anodizing. I took a picture of it (please see below).
IMG_7095_foxkm9.jpg

I am wondering what might have caused this "bleeding". This had also happened in the past, but the company doing the plating (chem film + anodizing) was never very clear on why this happened. Could anyone please offer a clue? The bleeding does not seem to cause any dimensional variation, but I am really bothered by the appearance of the part. I tried looking for explanations online but could not find anything.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The oxide film was not removed... and/or the surface area was not cleaned to 'bare aluminum'.

An old mechanic explained this. "When applying chromate conversion coating [CCC, alodine] onto aluminum, if it beads-up and runs-off and doesn't form an adherent colored film... the surface simply isn't clean enough for the CCC to bond with the aluminum molecules.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Oxide on aluminum grows pretty fast, too.

Any aluminum oxide that's been formed in high temperatures with oxygen can even resist chemical etches; we once has a part that required reactive ion etching to clear out contact vias on a chip

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Thanks Everyone!

Etching the oxides could be a tricky balancing act between making sure all the oxides are gone and making sure dimensional change is kept at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back