Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

aluminum heat treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasseremam

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2015
EG
badly need to know the artificial aging temperature and aging period of aluminum 6063-t6 and 6063-t5

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASTM B918 Standard Practice for Heat Treatment of Wrought Aluminum Alloys shows:

T5: 400 degrees F for 1-2 hours or 360 degrees F for 3 hours

T6: 360 degrees F for 6 hours or 350 degrees F for 8 hours

THANKS FOR REPLY
the problem was that i work in an aluminum extruder as a mechanical maintenance engineer and i had a problem with the aging oven. Bearings and shafts inside get damaged before planned maintenance time and while following up i found that they perform aging process at 360F for 6 hours for (T5) temper.i think it's too long time and for t5 temper and it may be the cause for excessive thermal stress on bearings inside....
any comments on that???

The 6 hours at 360 degrees F may have resulted in slight overaging, but may still meet the requirements. You will need to test to determine that. I don't understand the relationship between the part being heat treated and your furnace bearings to offer any comment on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back