Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Am I looking for a "threaded insert"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrHoneydew

Industrial
Jan 26, 2007
US
Hello,

I am looking for something quite like a threaded insert, but threaded on both sides.
In other words, I could take this part and attach it the same way I would a nut and a bolt, but the end result would be a hole for a smaller bolt to fit inside.

Am I making myself clear at all? Does this sound like something you would still call a threaded insert? If not, what is it? Does anyone know a good supplier?

Thanks so much.

Cheers,
DHD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about a weld nut insert from McMaster-Carr? Part number 90607A230. It has a flange on one side with a boss that would pass through your 1/4" ABS. The boss is just a hair over 1/4" long, so you would probably need a large diameter washer to fit over the boss, then a smaller washer to fit the eye bolt, then a nut to tighten the eye bolt down to the insert.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Handleman,
How would I bond the weld nut to the ABS? I've heard of using heat or ultrasound, but don't know the details. Would you suggest one of those techniques?

DHD

You wouldn't need to bond it. Just capitalize on the fact that it has a nice wide, thin flange on the bottom side. Does your insert need to be anchored firmly prior to inserting the eye bolt? Building on CorBlimeyLimey's idea, instead of

Eye-bolt
Washer
ABS (clearance hole)
Washer
Nut

You would have

Eye-bolt
Nut
Washer (fits eye bolt shank)
Slightly bigger washer (fits over "weld nut" boss)
ABS (clearance hole) with boss of "weld nut" sticking thru
Flange of "weld nut".

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

You've mentioned a quantity of 500 for these components, but have not stated a production rate. Will these 500 last a year, a month, a week, a day or a shift? Your manufacturing rate should dictate what your installation method will be. Without further info I would recommend some adhesive or epoxy.

You mentioned 1/4" ABS, are you concerned with deflection upon lifting? If so, could this lifting eye be incorporated into some support component?

I initially was going to propose the Barb-Sert until your OP mentioned threaded inserts. I think it will work in your case

If you contact Groove-Pin they will give you assistance with installing their insert. I would stay with a push-in system if possible due to your quantity. You might find a heating system on the surplus market. Ultrasonic insertion is prohibitively expensive and please don't think surplus.

For a good cross section of whats available in the insert market take a look at this site. Look at the Microbarb,

Regarding quantities, I'm talking 500 total. I build large sculptural art, so each piece is kind of like a prototype and production piece all at once.

In light of that, it sounds like the push in method might work. I was worried about the strength of that method, but our loads are low, so it might work.

Regarding the keenserts, Kaynarguy... I'm not sure I understand them. What are they two tabs for? Installation? They seem a lot like a typical knife-threaded self tapping type.

The tabs as you call them are what we call "Kees." These Kees are to stop the insert from rotating out of the structure when installed. The parent material is drilled and tapped (they are not self tapping), then the insert is screwed in to the hole up to the Kees and they are driven in to the material (asuming aluminum or other "soft" material).

The commercial versions (Keyserts) that may be best for you can be seen here;

Dave Beckett
Alcoa Fastening Systems

It sounds like you are looking for something like a "Bulkhead Coupling" used in hydraulics.
Try searching for Weatherhead PN. W05465.
I think it is close to what you are looking for, the only problem is that the inside thread are NPT. The outside is straight thread.
Hope this helps, David

The Weatherhead part looks great, but it would probably only work if the outside thread was NPT and the inside was straight. I would guess no one makes eye-bolts with NPT threading? Ha.

Without knowing your loading / load certification requirements, how about something like pressed in from the inside surface? Really intended for the furniture industry - not 'precision engineered' by any means!

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

The groov-pin inserts work great. The only problem with them is you have to order them in pretty big qty, and they aren't that "cheap" compared to what you can get out of mcmaster carr.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

OK, try a "Binding Barrel".
McMaster-Carr #98002A910
It is not threaed on the out side but you could install it as a press fit or rough up the outside and glue it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back