Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

An employed engineer and his non-consulting employer are sued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

liming37

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2023
CA
An employed engineer and his non-consulting employer are sued in Canada. If the employer's insurance covers the claim, does the employee need to pay the claim?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not likely, but depends on the policy...

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

No offense, but no one here will either. It depends on the fine print of whatever you sign in your contract agreement / whatever policy the employer holds.

What type of insurance coverage did your former employer maintain? Commercial General Liability? Professional Errors and Omissions?

Is the legal action alleging professional negligence, or other?

As you are an ex-employee at this time, you should hire a lawyer (and listen to them). I would expect your lawyer to be in communication with the insurance companies legal team. In time your personal exposure to a potential claim will be come clear, but it will take time.

insurance coverage is Commercial General Liability, not Professional Errors and Omissions. The legal action alleging is professional negligence.

I wouldn't panic. Usually, insurers and lawyers go after anyone they think they can get money from. As already mentioned, get a lawyer and don't post anything on here that could be found and held against you.

You need to talk to a lawyer. These things usually have a date for response. Not responding within the allocated time can cause you some grief. Do you not recall the project that the claim is regarding? It should be stipulated on the legal documents.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Do you know what the project is? and what type of problems developed? Were you aware of any problems? What is the alleged professional negligence? You may need to hire an engineer.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Stop posting questions here and talk to your lawyer about it. Even asking the question itself can be interpreted poorly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why yes, I do in fact have no idea what I'm talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back