Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Analog circuit simulators

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb1

Electrical
Jan 14, 2006
US
Hi,

Anyone know of any inexpensive/free analog circuit simulators??

Thanks,

swb1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a chopped down version of Microcap 8 (MC8) available as a free download. You need to register.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

has a demo version of OrCAD Capture, OrCAD Capture CIS Option, PSpice® A/D, PSpice AA, OrCAD PCB Editor and SPECCTRA® for OrCAD.

There are limitations in the size and complexity of the design, but it's free.

The bare SPICE simulator is free, and has no limitations of complexity, but it has a 70s era user interface (i.e. none), and you have to create a file simulating a stack of punch cards with reference designators, values, node numbers, simulation parameters, et cetera. It's very painful to use, but this is the engine that many other programs use, dressed up in a nice schematic capture user interface.

There are probably several shareware applications you can use with this, depending on your operating system.

Have fun, but you might want to search these forums for discussions concerning how useful these simulators are in various applications.

For a free unlimited (in circuit size) simulator go get
LTSpice from linear technology.
The model library is limited to their parts for op-amps and such but you can fairly easily add new models.

I have used it for 3 years and like it.

Absolutely aggree with logbook in recommending Simetrix. You can download the free version from the site link he posted. The free copy is limited in number of nodes it will run but is otherwise fully functional. We liked it so much we bought a full copy a couple of years ago and would not be without it.

I'm a ChemE and i wanted to make a mock up of a new project with a PLC control system. The EE in my group sent me to radio shack for a pot and some resistors, cost about $30 and I had 4 4-20ma outputs and 1 4-20 ma (with a 0-1 volt meter) and about 20 DI/DO's. That was cheap to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back