Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anchor Bolt Design 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbags

Structural
Mar 3, 2003
US
Can anyone help me find a good reference(s)/example(s) regarding the design of anchor bolts for a sign support? The base plate is circular, the column is circular and the anchor bolts are in a circular pattern. I have many references with square/rectangular base plates and bolt patterns. Also, a good reference for anchor bolt embedment would be appreciated. The references I currently use are as follows:
AISC: Column Base Plates
Blodgett: Design of Welded Structures
PCI: PCI Design Handbook

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have found a few references on the subject of Anchore Bolt Design which are helping me to understand the accepted design. The reference are

1. Industrial Buildings, Roofs and Column Anchorage by AISC 1993
2. Column Anchorage Design: Base Plates with Moments or Shear by John T. DeWolf, 1988
3. Design of Headed Anchor Bolts by John G. Shipp and Edward R. Haninger, Engineering Journal AISC 2nd quarter 1983.

So with these I am moving ahead with my design..

Look to the ground-based technology references, this deals with natural securement and not mechanical.

In fastenind anything to the earth, you must remember the earth is round and not square....

I am looking for minimum embed and edge distance requirement for 1 1/2 inche diameter A588 threaded anchor rods used in a 24 inches thick concrete. This concrete plate is used to resist a 300 kips pipe collar trust force.
I am anticipating a 1 1/4x6x6 pull out plate with these anchor bolts.
Thanks

Just so's ya know, that link might not be the same next month--and now that I look at it, it's already not pointing at what I'm guessing unclesyd bookmarked (unless you wanted to talk about cable-stayed bridges). For future searches, find the Bridge Design Manual, then Special Designs, then Anchor Bolts.

Hg

p.s. ...and feel free to write to the DOT and complain about how bookmarks to their manuals go away, but don't tell them I sent you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back