Anchor bolts at low temperature environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rauf30

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2012
AZ
Hi all,

In the current project, it is advised to use ASMT A320 Grade L7. Reason for that is cold temperature environment.Considering that, ASMT A320 Grade L7 expensive, I want to suggest to use ASTM F1554 Gr 105. The question is does it suits cold temperature as well? Absolute minimum in the project area is -39 degree celsius.

Thanks for any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I worked for several years in Alaska and we used ASTM A320 L7 anchors for anchoring large vertical vessels. I think you'll lose ductility and risk brittle fracture in the F1554 anchors at really low temps.

This article might broaden your choices, but obviously ASTM F1554 wasn't included. Also, I wonder the availability/suitability for your application, and cost.
Link

Do you need high strengths like that? I'd be much more comfortable will a lower grade steel when you're looking for toughness. What's your application

I can tel you that it's pretty typical to use F1554 Gr 36 and 55 in northern Canada. I spot checked a couple of provincial transportation standards and I'm not seeing any overly exotic callouts.

I would avoid ASTM F1554 Gr 105... it's not weldable and I like to have weldable anchor rods. Too often a chance for a screw up... There is Canadian G40.21 material that is suitable for cold climates, and I don't know if Gr 55 S1 is OK for the cold. I'd start there.

Dik

Rabbit12,

F1554 bolts are passing -20F/-29C test without any trouble. But, I am not sure about -39C. Probably, I need to ask vendor to do some preliminary testing.

Rauf, when you say passing what are you referring to? All the major oil companies I worked for had stringent charpy testing requirements for steel that was used. The specs also limited stresses in the steel depending on use (ie, critical components had lower allowable stresses).

The thing I always found funny was each company had their own specs but they were identical with respect to the cold weather steel stuff. I did some digging at one point and I could never find much on how these specs were developed. I was told that there was failures of steel on the North Slope of Alaska attributed to the extreme cold weather the steel was subjected to. I suspect that story is true and the cold weather requirements were developed from those.

Rabbit12,

I am referring to the supplementary requirement S5 of ASTM F1554:

"The minimum Charpy V-notch energy requirement is an average of 15ft-lbs for three specimens, with no one specimen falling below 12ft-lbs."

Rauf, the requirements that the oil companies I worked for have charpy testing requirements that are much more stringent. I don't have access to those anymore so can't speak to specifics but it's something like 20/15 instead of 15/12.

What are these anchor rods for? Are they high stress and critical?

Rabbit12,

Yes, you right. One of our client requires 35J/25J. The project I am working on at early stage, and we are trying to set general requirements for equipment, bolts and etc.. It is new client, and there is no client specs at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back