anchor bolts...do I need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark416

Structural
Dec 4, 2007
CA
Hey;

Is it stated any where in a code that a structure must be anchored down, specifically, anchored with anchor bolts to a foundation? I have a small shack (40ft long x 12ft wide x 12ft high, approximatly 41,000 lbs heavy.). Do I need to anchor it to the foundation per any codes in Canada even if wind loads cannot move it. There will be no issue for uplift since wind can not get underneath the shack.

Thanks,
M.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks to those who contributed with meaningful comments.

The client asked the question if the shack is required to be anchored down even if the wind loading would not compromise the factor of safety for sliding or overturning. Obviously putting in anchor bolts would be the wisest thing without taking any risks. I remembered seeing or hearing somewhere where it stats a requirement for a minimum number of anchor bolts per connection. Therefore, I thought that this would be a good forum to ask the question.

I did however; just found that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Safety Standards for Steel Erection require a minimum of four anchor rods in
column-base-plate connections. The requirements exclude post-type columns that weigh less than 300 lb. Columns, base plates, and their foundations must have sufficient moment strength to resist a minimum eccentric gravity load of 300 lb located 18 in. from the extreme outer face of the column in each direction.

Thanks for the discussion.
M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back