Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANGLES IN BENDING TO BS5950-1:2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SARAHJONES

Structural
Jan 19, 2004
GB
Having been brought up on BS449, I recently had to design angles to BS5950-1:2000 and found the whole process very complicated! Does anyone have an example of a calculation, particularly for UEs? Although the blue book gives various parameters for appendix B.2.9, it does not give them all. I'd like a shortcut, rather than working all the properties out from first principles!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are UE's unequal angles? What parameters can't you get from the published data? I've never had to design angles to the latest version of the code but I used to have a spreadsheet for the old version which simply contained all of those little subformulas and formulas (seven listed in BS5950-2000). This saved time in the calculation but was still presented as a 'hand calculation'. I've no longer got the spreadsheet.

This principle applies to a lot of BS5950 design and is especially useful for the appendices where they hide all the complicated stuff!

Good luck its not really that bad a code to work to.

Thanks for that. I do use BS5950 on a daily basis, but hadn't designed an angle in bending for a while! I am writing a spreadsheet, but wanted to know if there were any published data for Zuu, Zvv etc.

Just to check the method:
1)Cl 4.3.8.2 - resolve Mx into Mu and Mv
2)B.2.9 - calc lambda LT.
3) 4.9 to I.4 - does this mean use all values for u and v axes? If so pcu is based on Le/ru etc and Zu and Zv, mu and my etc to be used. BUT what do I use for Mb? Is it just pbZu?
Some UEs are slender, but presumably I have use I.3 rather than Mb = pbZueff?

As I said, it's complicated! But if my above method is correct I will finish the spreadsheet and send it to anyone interested (with all the ususal caviats).

EIT2, in the UK these are British Standards.

From GOOGLE search for British Standard 5950,
[blue]
BS 5950-1: 2000 - Structural use of steelwork in
building. Code of practice for design - Rolled and
welded sections.
[/blue]

Sarah. - Yes I think your approach is correct - My annotations are below

1)Cl 4.3.8.2 - resolve Mx into Mu and Mv - note that My (if present) also needs resolving to Mu and Mv.
2)B.2.9 - calc lambda LT. - Agreed
3) 4.9 to I.4 - does this mean use all values for u and v axes? If so pcu is based on Le/ru etc and Zu and Zv, mu and my etc to be used. BUT what do I use for Mb? Is it just pbZu? - Yes thats my understanding, You design the section replacing #x terms with #u and #y with #v. I would take it that the absence of Su and Sv terms from the data indicates that Zu and Zv should be used.
Some UEs are slender, but presumably I have use I.3 rather than Mb = pbZueff?- This one I don't know - try not to use slender angles?!?

Again, good luck

The 'new' section properties for angles can be found in BS EN 10056-1:1999. Specification for Structural Steelwork Equal and Unequal Angles. I believe that this was the old BS 4.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back