Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Angular constraint can not change to minus value

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuudvdBrand

Computer
Aug 6, 2012
NL
Dear all,

I'm having a problem. When i create an angle assembly constrain, i can change this into a + value and a - value. a accept the value that i want.

No is the problem in NX 7.5.4.4 that when i want to change the value in the expression dialog from 45 into -45 degree that there wont be a change in the part.
When i preform this in NX 8, 8.5 or 9 than this will work.

I also found that there is logged a PR add Siemens for this problem an the answer is that it will be changed in version NX 8.0.3 and higher.

But is there a work around for this whitout have to upgrade for this moment?

Thanks in advantage.

Ruud van den Brand

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could you add a angular dimension that is greater like 180 and or 270 and switch this angle?

It there an arrow toggle option in there, which will change the direction ?

When you created your Angle Constraint, which 'Sutype' did you use, 'Angle' or 'Orient Angle'? If you used the simple 'Angle' subtype, try replacing that with an 'Orient Angle' subtype. You will need to make three selections instead of only two, the first being something like an edge or cylindrical axis to define the actual rotation axis, and then you select the two reference objects, faces/edges, that the Angle value will be applied to. By selecting an explict rotation axis, this will result in a more reliable constraint since the rotation axis does not need to be inferred. Now this may not actually solve your problem since in both cases, 'Angle' and 'Orient Angle', how the rest of the Assembly is constrained can have an effect, but it might be worth giving it a shot.

Note that if this specific issue, of changing from a positive to a negative angular value, was made to work more consistently in NX 8.0 and newer versions, then there is virtually no chance that we are going to go back and change NX 7.5 as it has been moved to critical maintenance only status and I suspect that this issue would not meet the criteria of being a 'critical' issue.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks for the reactions.

I had hoped for that there was a work around for this problem.

Ruud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back