Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Angular Dimensions NX 9 Drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmiklovic

Automotive
Oct 14, 2014
US
I am struggling to get the properly place an angular dimension without the dimension value changing to the complimentary angle.

I believe that in older versions of NX this had do with which half of the edge you selected, and the order you selected the edges. Something seems different here.

I am trying to place a dimension that should read 75deg, after clicking through it always gives me 105deg. Sometimes I can get 75 to appear, but the moment I click to place the dimension it changes to 105.

I assume there is some trick or something I am missing, but this has been a headache for a number of users here for the last few months, and has caused us to add unnecessary views and or notes on drawings just to get the numbers to come out right.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jay Miklovic
Sr. Design Engineer
Edco Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you provide at least an image showing what you're adding the dimension to or better yet, a short video clip showing your interaction and results?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I can't reproduce that behavior, but of course I don't have your files. That being said, have you tried to edit the 105° dimension re-selecting the edges or perhaps using the 'Alternate Angle' option?

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Yes I did try that, and didn't have luck. This is an fairly new file created from the ground up in NX9.

I did discover one work around that gives me the right numbers. I check 'automatically place' and I get the right number, but the dimension gets placed on the other side of the vertex. Then I exit the dialog box and drag it to the right location. This solution isn't too bad and it will keep us moving.

I have also noticed this being really difficult on small angles, like placing a 1.0degree dimension I have to drag the dimension out a long ways to get it 'inside' of the one 1.0 degree, then after it's placed drag it to where it needs to go.

In any case, thanks for taking a look, if you think of anything that might be causing this behavior let me know.

Jay

Jay Miklovic
Sr. Design Engineer
Edco Inc.

Hey,

Can You try unlocked option Automatic Orientation?
You can find it in Preferences-Drafting Preferences-Common-Line\Arrow-Arrowhead.
(It's works in drafting and in sketch, that same way)

Best regards

Michał Nowak
NX9.0 and TC10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back