Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

animal manure waste & nutrient management

Status
Not open for further replies.

nutrientwaste

Agricultural
Jul 24, 2001
US
I am looking at established waste water technologies that have been applied to animal waste streams. My emphasis is on early solids - liquid separation with TSS & TDS removal of 80% or more. The intent is to capture and stabilize as much of the N P & K in a manageble solid that may or may not require further proccesing. Any experience you have or can point me to will be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have experience from the British solution to this kind of problem, but it strikes me that to acheive such a high reduction in wet volume, you will be utilising some very expensive processes.

If you want to drop me a line (mark.ley@csgwasteman.co.uk) I would be more than happy to be of any use I can.

Suggest you look at solutions that utilize lanthanum and/or chitin as a flocculent. We ran tests on textile wastewater for both nitrate and odor removal, hoping for color removal "effluent is totally black from the dyes" using an electrolytic exposure regime. Had very good results on the nitrate removal and odor - but could not break the color at the voltage/amperage we were utilizing. Tried just a small amount of lanthanm and chitin - flocculated all the color out in several minutes, leaving the balance of the water virutally clear. The lanthanum flocculated the dye material in seconds, producing a heavier then water flocculate. The chitin grabbed the dye slower, took 30-40 minutes, but created a lighter then water flocculate. Either would allow for simple suction/over-flow mechanical removal. Beats trucking 40,000 gallons per day to a hazardous waste sight.

Dick Kersey of Orenda Technologies in Connecticutt (800-322-1648) can probably help you here. Feel free to tell him i referred you.

DAve Orlebeke
Aquatic Technologies

we got a problem of Euglena bloom in our fish pond.Our water resource are from Student Hostel and Hostel Cafeteria.Before the water come in to our pond we had retention pond to settle the pollution inside the water.My question is do we need to design new retention pond to settle this problem or there is a way to solve it????

Contact Robin Martlew - Enviropure of Canada - he is having tremendous success with simple/revised protein skimmer to remove hog manure solids prior to wastewater treatment - they use the solids for fertilizer. Simple, easy design that can probably be installed off your existing pumping system. Robin can be reached at rmartlew@enviropure.ca

You might be interested in the USA's Agstar program. They offer technical information online, including software for preliminary economics analysis on manure to electrical power and low TSS, TOC wastewater by anaerobic digestion:
It is largely focused on solids waste disposal .. by adding it to water for anaerobic digestion (instead of composting).
The TSS is largely eliminated. Although TDS is not solidified, a small amount (compared to composting) of odour free sludge remains, that can be used as potting soild, etc. TSS and organics are converted to biogas fuel (CH4 & CO2). The resulting wastewater is more useable in larger quantities for more effective agricultural nutrient management...Odour free, TOC and organic-nitrogen reduced, etc., but with valuable TDS components (phosphate, etc).
In some cases, economics are attractive, particualry in niche markets (eg: producer needs enhanced manure disposal capacity). If CO2 reduction credits are offered, and/or if energy costs remain high, economics improve markedly. As one in a group of chemical engineers offering services in this field, we look forward to future development, as in Europe (Denmark, Germany, etc,), where environmental restrictions and energy economics favour further development. Perhaps anaerobic digestion will help improve your process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back