Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anodize Aluminum 6061 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks IRstuff.

Yeah. I am concerned it is thin and whether it can survive during vibration... it sounds like I need to get some experimental data?

Anodize is mainly a cosmetic treatment with a side effect of corrosion protection.

If you need electrical insulation then use an insulator.

Anodize is also a fatigue crack initiation source. It forms an irregular, rigid, oxide crystal on the surface of a soft metal. Good for abrasion resistance; not so good if the part flexes.

Thanks MinJulep and 3DDave!

@MintJulep, the part needs to be insulated is also structural part... wonder what other metal material can be used other than plastic?

This question begs 'a reason WHY' are You considering anodize of 6061... when conversion coatings may do the trick.

OH,BTW what temper 6061??? -T4 or -T6... and 'how thin'? Is it to be welded?

For electrical use exclusively in a very controlled environment?

Etc. The quality of our answers = quality of the question/parameters.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

It sounds like You might be designing a micro/small-sat?

I love spaceflight/spacecraft/satellite design... even though my bread-n-butter has been MIL! Materials in space are at a whole different level than earth-bound aircraft.

The NASA LDEF experiment used anodized 6061-T? for experiment trays... so it got +5.5 years on-orbit exposure. Awhile back I got a copy of the following document that might be very useful.

LDEF Materials Results for Spacecraft Applications
There are others, related to real-world [out-of-this-world] findings... do some digging.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back