Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ANSI vs ISO - Alignment

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-C

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2003
US
Our European parent company is forcing us in America to go to ISO drawings standards, metric, and 1st angle projection. Metric I can wrap my head around with time, but why this dimension alignment of following the dimension line? It makes the drawing harder to read, no one is rotating the sheet on screen. Also, adding a geometric tolerance to a diameter dimension, the dimension text alignment switches to horizontal. Does anyone actually prefer this and why?

The ANSI based standard is cleaner IMO. Notice how the 7mm switches to horizontal alignment when the GDT box is added.

ANSI_vs_ISO_g9nqzl.png

JC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All of it is completely arbitrary and matter of getting used to.

Some rules are going back to times of manual drafting and lettering.

"One-piece" dimension line may be faster to draw. Writing "vertical" dimensions with your head slanted to the left may appear easier. The vertical "4" dimension on your ANSI (by the way, it's ASME for long time now) example somehow is more confusing to me.

All of it are somebody's personal preferences made into the rules long, long time ago.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

I have always vastly preferred the ISO layout. When you get 4 or 5 characters in a vertical dimension and the text is horizontal it gets really messy doing it the ASME way if you have several dimensions. Also, there is nothing saying the ISO radius and diameter dimensions can't have an elbow and horizontal text.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back