Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ansys contact problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgianluca

Mechanical
Dec 29, 2017
IT
Dear friends,
I'm dealing with a spring sheet inserction on a tube.
I'm conducting a static structral analysis because i would understand the max stress on the spring element.
The simulation is a 2D sim. to let reduce the computing time.
The friction contact was regularly detected (see image attached).
My problem is that applimg a displacement on the spring i'm not able to see the spring deformation (see results images).
Please help me because i'm loosing mi life!!!!!
Thanks friends!!

1_ufm3vp.png

2_ztleee.png

3_arr57x.png

4_sbjc1u.png

5_y88c2b.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what you need help with.

The spring is being pushed down, and it slides perhaps along the semi sphere (not sure if contact is working). Basically a rigid body movement (visible on the images).
It will slide of course if there is not enough friction force to prevent it.

Also the part seems to be 3D?

If someone is to help more information and clarification is needed.

Dear Erik,
thanks for the reply.
The model is 2d (you see 3d because i active 3d ansys representation).
yes basically it's a rigid body movent. I set a friction coefficient of 0,1. Anyway geometrically it should there be a spring deformation but it doesn't happen.
Why?

One load step is sufficient for the analysis. Initial contact (8 elements) is detected which is good.
You could try setting number of substeps to 100. Also check the mesh size in the contact area,
too coarse mesh can cause trouble.

Dear L_k I decreased the load step (the displacement of 5 mm was decreased in 2 load step). I increased the substep to 500 but there's again penetration of spring and so any deformation. The mesh also was increased but i can't understand what is wrong!!

A 3D shell (say that is used for a 3D slab). The geometry should be set to 2D for plane stress and strain analysis (go to the geometry, right click and select properties in the in the properties of schematic geometry, set the drop list set to 2D instead of 3D). So if you convert the geom. to 2D (also project to the XY-plane), and use a lower initial contact stiffness with an aggressive stiffness update, it works fine. See image below for this contact setting. Attached also the 2D projected geometry I used (imported to Strand7/Straus7 in Italy, projected there and exported back out).

Link

gianlucaansys_ugirig.jpg

Dear Erik you have right!!
The problem is that i was seeing 2d surfaces without setting it right.
Now i designed the 2d skecth directly on design model without importing it from a cad software (conversion errors!!)
Below i report you my updated simulation but it's not working for convergence problems.
i have a good mesh a high substeps and loadsteps. Could you check it? thanks a lot!!!!

Dear Erik thanks a lot for your availability.
I will try and let you know.
thanks agsain friend and if you will come to Italy let me know!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back