Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ansys Geometry error: Intersecting Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

MADBADGER

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2012
US
I made a model in Sold Works and imported it into Ansys Workbench. The Mesh fails because I have one object intersecting another... Basically its a cylinder with a thin sheet going into it. Is there a way for ansys to automatically remove intersecting bodies? I want the thin sheet to attach to the cylinder.

I attached a picture of the bodies, the wire frame shows the flat surface going through the cylindrical body

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't see why it wouldn't work, what does the error message say? Is is the flat structure made of shell elements? There are a lot of ways you can clean up you model, e.g. use the "Boolean-subtract" tool in DM. There are a lot of ways for you to solve this intersecting issue with proper modeling both in ANSYS and solidworks.

Hi Madbedger

I assume it is a surface body and a solid (the cylinder), and that you are using "Shared topology" option?

Solids can be a bit tricky, and I think you have to first slice the surface (e.g. using a surface from the cykinder) and suppress the part of the sheet that is contained within the solid.

Then combine the bodies in the same part and click share topology. If the Mechanical still won't mesh the two bodies with shared nodes you can use contact-target elements tho combine them.

If both bodies are solid bodies, you have to subtract them (removing the part where they intersect) in Designmodeler (boolean operation) before you use Shared topology. Alternatively, ctrl-click the two solid bodies and click join (under Boolean operations) - when they are joined you don't need to use shared topoly, all interfaces between the two bodies are gone, they are one body.

Hope it helps.

Christian Hansen

FEA consulting made easy -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back