Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any CE Designers here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf6bbl

Electrical
Feb 7, 2006
US
Any other designers in the consumer electronics business?
I've searched the forum, but don't see much activity in video circuits. I've been working with DVI, HDMI, HD analog video, and the likes.
What do you think the population of US based CE designers there is. Much of the business has gone overseas, but I believe there is still quite a bit of design still in the US.
Thanks for reading.

-Bill
CE Designer Forum

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been designing video circuits in the past, but as you say the volume has gone overseas. Trying to design something with video (I mean high-tech stuff) has become increasingly difficult. It is hard to get valuable information about the parts from manufacturers if you don't talk about high volumes. Many times because they don't document their stuff well, and since they are targeting volumes they will assign technical people to those big customers instead of documenting everything. Not to talk about obsolescence after a year. Too bad for the others. All these ads and product summaries are only made to lure large customers. Try to get design information for an STMicro Mpeg decoder.

Nice web site! I bookmarked it.

Yea I know what you mean. That part of the reason I started my site. It's an increasingly small community of engineers in the CE space, so we gotta stick together, ya know!

Right now I think the biggest barrier is all the various licenses and 'clubs' you need to join to play.
I understand that some asian companies will for a coop of sorts, and buy one license. Not sure why that can't be done here though.

-Bill
CE Designer Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back