Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any info or reference about ultra high strength cast steels please 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunmrao

Materials
Oct 1, 2000
IN
I am scheduled for an interview with a company manufacturing wear products for mining and construction industry. They are looking for development of parts in ultra high strength cast steel. I shall appreciate,if any of the members have any inputs to provide.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most advances in UHHS have come from precipitation hardening by the Mo2C,N mechanism.(Cartech, Aermet 100) This is good for strength but not for wear resistance, which may be more important to a mining company.

In these instances, the greatest wear resistance has come from using mixtures of metal powders which contain higher amounts of VC than can be cast. (Crucible)I suspect there's a clever way to do this with individual castings.

I would tell your prospective employer that you have the entire Eng-Tips team on your side and he would be foolish to not hire you.
Good luck!

Michael McGuire

There is a developmental stainless steel that can achieve >210 ksi yield strength with > 10% elongation and high toughness that was recently discussed at AeroMat2011 - a copy of the presentation is available on QuesTek's website:

The alloy is martensitic, with Ni3Ti-type 'eta' precipitation strengthening. To avoid formation of Al, and Ti oxides during solidification, the alloy is best suited for vacuum investment casting. Beyond about 4-5" section thickness the properties start degrading.

I did not qualify, as my experience and knowledge does not meet their requirements.

arunmrao

Dear Friend

Anyway if they don't hire you. They have lost a HUGE Metallurgical experience.

For me : you are a GREAT Metallurgist

Respect !

Ps : ultra high strength steels is dedicated mainly to Aerospace grades : ATI, Carpenter,Aubert & Duval, Tata Steels(Former Corus, QuesTek........
I never hear about applications of these steels grades to Mining Market.

Stan

arunmrao
Just came across your post. You hardly ask any questions, you're the dude always with the answers. Anyway, if I can add my 2 cents, though it's probably to late. We cast dozens of parts for mining industries from a few lb to 1000lb, mostly in 4340 and some in 4140. We supply castings in normalized condition for the customer, they quench the parts, and temper I believe at 400F, so in case 4340 you end up with over 500BHN, TS 250ksi, YS 230ksi min. Popular, "cheap" alloy that proved itself in service for long time now. Occasionally we cast train wheels in this alloy (not much demand lately).And since we on the subject, they order some parts in abrasion resistant iron, mostly 532 class 2 type B grade.

Mark

It is believed that single phase alloys have been tested and used to the extreme limits of their properties for impact and abrasive conditions. It will now onwards be 2 phase alloys or metal matrix composites to extend the life of the parts,thereby reducing replacement costs and down time of the machine(very critical). You can find large companies too, echoing the same.

I have been associated with one company to develop markets in India and this relation has come to an end due to shift in business priorities.

I know an Australian company doing some fancy steel product for mining industry and they claim wear resistance is excellent. Never really read their product but it's stock ticker is "aysi".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back