Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

any success on common rail diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIESELTEC

Automotive
Apr 11, 2005
GB
hi everybody sorry to be a pain but was wondering if anybody had come up with a solution for running and testing common rail injectors ?
bosch delphi and siemens that is....
any help would be very much appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As i know, testing common-rail injectors is done with diagnosis computer, which indicates values between -5...5 mg/cycle. I might be wrong about mg/cycle, don't know exactly. The meaning of the values are: if is below 0 means that engine computer is trying to reduce fuel injection on that injectors (injector is injecting too much fuel); if value is above 0 means that engine computer is trying to increase fuel injection (injector not injecting enough fuel).
If the values are beyond that parameter than automatically the injector is cut-off.
I hope that information is usefull to you. It is all that I know for now.

Testing HPCR (High Pressure Common Rail) Diesel injectors is possible. There are many Diesel Fuel injection shops dotted around the US that do it. The equipment is expensive and therefore it does not make sense for an individual to do it! I want to say that the avaerage cost of tesing is about $80.00 per injectors.

Cummins has used common rail since inception? only if you think Cummins is 5 years old.

Dipaco sells a kit they put together they call "Rebuild the Future" or RTF, and diesel shop that is set up for RTF should have the capabilities to test/flow Common Rail and other late model electronic injectors.

Tex d guy,

Cummins has alway used common rail as far as I know.

As you can find out by reading any Diesel engine book from the 50's or the 60's.
There are 4 common injection systems used on diesel engines.
1 Jerk pump-multiple pump system. (Like the old Cat engines)
2 Unit injector (like the old detroits)
3 Distributor (like you see on GM 6.2 diesels)
4 Common rail, of which the "OLD" Cummins system is
and using what they called the pressure time principle.
The common rail system has to be regulated by controlling the rail pressure. In the old days the common rail systems had no "electronics" to control them in any way.
So just because "electronics" does not exist on the system it does not mean it is not a "common rail" system.
Lastly, if the injector is independantly metering the fuel, like most electronic injectors do. They would be in the number 2 classification of "unit" injection.
In true common rail the injector just injects fuel and has nothing to do with metering. By metering I mean controlling the volume of fuel required to maintain a certain power level as commanded by the governor.

I suppose you could consider the early cummins injection system a primitive common rail system. But it bares little resemblance in function or form to modern ones.

Diesel Diagnostic and Repair expert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back