Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any suggestions on the easiest FEA program to begin with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfowler

Mechanical
Sep 27, 2003
US
I am well experienced with AutoCAD and have some experience now with SolidWorks but I have no FEA analysis program experience. I want to begin analysis of simple single and multilple part structures. I am interested in gravity, point loads, and distributed loading (wind load) effects. Deflection, critical buckling and all that would be great to determine. Very important to me is the simplicity of the system - I cannot afford much time to ramp up to speed with FEA analysis software. Static analysis is fine for now, no need for a dynamic model analysis. I can treat the wind as a simple distributed load. I am thinking I would prefer to stay Solidworks and use an add-in Cosmos FEA module. Thanks for any suggestions.

David Fowler

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use Solidworks and Algor FEA. The Algor FEA has an InCad module that will launch the software and create the mesh directly from Solidworks. It is relatively easy to use.

Have you tried Cosmos? Is Algor better to use with Solidworks than Cosmos? The Cosmos Express FEA addin is included with Solidworks 2003 and 2004. I have used the Cosmos Express functions. Does anyone know if the Algor interfaces, commands, and outputs similar or are at least intuitive to learn?

Davey

Hi David!

I have just joined this forum so I hope I am not too late to share something with you.

Since you have some experience with SolidWorks, it would be quite easy to pick up CosmosWorks. I managed by going through the tutorials without any formal training. You mentioned that you would like to use the software for Single and MultiParts. It is through my experience that it is a little trickly to analyse Multiparts or Assemblies with CosmosWorks as you may not be able to model things such as joints in your assembly properly. Maybe you might want to look into MSCVisualNastran4D. It integrates with SolidWorks too.

I hope this helps.

I may be biased by LUSAS is an easy FE system to use and has all the capability you require. The lusas website lusas.com has all the details.

hi dfowler,

Demo'd Algor a few years back and found it (IMHO) pretty awful user interface - I think because I was so used to the simplicity of SolidWorks and Cosmos (which I had played with a little before hand).

But at the time it (algor) did have some nice features like block elements and the ability to combine beam and solid elements. Haven't had a look lately buy I am sure Algor will have re-visited their iterface by now.

I am curious though, you are talking about UDL loads due to wind and gravity - what type of structures are they? If they are just beams etc perhaps a much much cheaper beam element package would be of more use?

But integration into SW, both cosmos and Algor would get a big tick.

Dave

We are designing a chamber with one open wall to install a garage into. This chamber will be pressurized and depressurized to simulate wind loads. Here are the original threads for discussion and help with the design of my overall system.

thread403-76925
thread403-80755

We have built the frame of the test structure and are installing components now. I want to be able to analyze different configurations and shapes of our doors without having to build and physically test every one.

Davey

ahh okay,

You may need software that will allow you to have time variable inputs, not just static etc.

I take it a garage door consists of ribbing and maybe corrugated (sp?) sheet steel. You really need to be able to model the sheet as a surface mesh and the ribs as a solid mesh - perhaps even beam elements.

Getting a little out of my depth here though. Maybe someone else has some more knowledge,

djw

Mostly sandwich type door sections. Styrofoam cores with steel sheetmetal glued to both sides. Sections are held together with hinges. The outside hinges have rollers and are the points of contact with the track.

And any feedback is helpful thanks :)

Davey

If linear static analysis is all you are after then look at
This software allows you to supply your own equations to describe variable pressure loading and will summate the pressure into equivalent point forces and moments in either global or local axes systems without need to run the solver first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back