Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Any Tips on How to get up to speed quickly? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

aerofrank

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2005
CA
I'll be starting a new job next week. I've been with the same company ever since my graduation. Can anybody give me some tips on how to get up to speed at my new job (it a job that's related to manufacturing processes & design)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Walk the shop, several times a day. Listen. Watch.

Don't touch anything or pick up anything unless specifically requested to do so.

If it's a union shop, don't even pick up trash; that's someone else's job, and especially if they're not doing it, they'll be first in line to file a grievance against you. There is some incentive for them to entrap you into breaking a rule; they get money, you get yelled at.

Wear your safety glasses, hard hat, boots, whatever is required by the shop rules, whenever you are in the shop. It sets a good example, and also conveys the message that you are not an ivory tower kind of person.

When asked why you're out there, explain that you are trying to understand the real processes as they exist in the shop, which you should be doing anyway, so you have a clear picture of what fairy tales the documented processes actually are.

Most shops have a serious we/they perspective on management, and you have to live in both worlds. You can do that by being honest and polite and respectful toward everyone.

Back in the office, write down what you learned. As the new guy, it will take you a while to associate first names with last names, titles, duties, actual skills, and relationships. A written record speeds up that process. Keep that record for yourself only.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Understand the new processes, and mentally compare to what your last company did, going into the situation knowing that things will be different. I would resist the urge to use phrases such as:

"At my last company we did XXX."

Get to know the guys in the trenches. Be observant in regards to who the "go to" people are. Become friends with them without brown nosing or being insincere. Don’t get stuck at your desk. As the new face in town, you want to get exposure to as many people as you can. You may not remember all the names or functions, but they will remember you and your efforts. Spread yourself out, but don’t neglect any assigned tasks.

Take plenty of notes so you are not asking basic questions over and over.

It’s a new job and environment, enjoy the learning curve.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

If you are new to this line of work, your bosses (hopefully) would recognize that you won't really begin to hit your stride for 6 months. That's been my experience over the years for most of my jobs, you should consider that kind of time frame to be really effective.

Cultivate the relationships with the lower ranks and the "gatekeeepers". For me these folks have been the Shipping Department, Maintenance Department, the experienced line workers, and the Secretary/Admin Assistant. You'll need those people's help in the near future, and you need to make sure that they don't feel threatened or patronized by you.

Start slowly, ramp up to speed, integrate yourself into the team, form those important relationships.

TygerDawg

All excellent advice from the previous posters. To perhaps echo or elaborate on tygerdawg's post, I have found that there are always a few key people in any organization who actually know what is needed to get something done. When everything goes bad, these are the go-to folks who keep things working. Find them and cultivate a good working relationship with them. They might not be in positions that can enhance your career, but they certainly can enhance your effectiveness on the job.

Good luck and regards,

Definetly try to find out who the people 'who know' are and who you can go to if you need advice.

Get out into the area, introduce yourself and talk to the operators, take everything with at least a bit of a pinch of salt before you really understand the situation. Some people at first glance may appear to know a lot but it can be inaccurate.

Find out if there are any basic training courses you could do (e.g. basic line operations that the shop floor lads may have done) which will help with understanding the overall process.

Ask if you can have a walk round with people from different disciplines to understand the issues e.g. the mech engineer, the elec engineer and the production manager. That way you can get a rounded overview of whats going on.

Oh and as much as it may be tempting please please avoid 'at my last company we did...' or using old terminology so if a machine was called machine A at where you were before and its called machine B at where you are now. Don't call it machine A regardless of whether it is exactly the same or not. It makes you stand out, appears to existing company employees as though you dont fit in and would still like to be in your old company, learn the language of the new area. We have a guy who has done this for 18 months now. He is not well liked as he doesn't fit in and appears not to care about our processes, only those where he used to work.

Good luck, it will take a while but noone expects you to know everything straight away. Don't be afraid to ask the stupid question, you will get more respect than pretending to know.

All great advice. I would add that you should ask to basically be a production line worker for at least a few days. All our new engineers are put on the various lines where they'll be doing their engineering work for one week (sometimes two) and train as production workers. The more they know about the parts the better. This also lets them get to know the people doing the actual work. When they are finally handed over to engineering they have a better understanding of their assigned part numbers and an appreciation of what it takes to make a good part.

I would like to ask if ACTECH variable drives model MC3000 can be used with PID control system using variable speeds?I mean how we can use 3-4 presets speed.

Thank you!!!

All of the answers have been great, I would add one thing - schedule yourself to go to IMTS 2008 (in Chicago, in September)(IMTS.org website) to see all of the latest stuff in manufacturing / inspection / CAD / CAM. You will need at least 3 days to get an idea of what is shown. If your boss does not like the 3 days out of work schedule the visit over the weekend. It is well worth it!

To keep costs down leave early by plane and arrive in Chicago and go dirrectly to the show by van (there is no need to rent a car for this event, by staying at one of the approved hotels there will be a bus to / from the event each day). Check you luggage at the show and spend the first day looking a specific area - don't over do it. You need only two days of hotel for the 3 days of show. Beware your hotel cost will be $250/day. The last day you do the reverse of the first day and go home in the early evening.

I've gone to this show for the last 17 years. If your employer does not see the value in the show then it's time look for another job; plain and simple they don't get it.

The show is about ideas to improve your process and not just about buying machines. Your problem will be information overload. Get ready to walk - good luck!

jck26

Ask whether there is a 'lessons learned' publication for inside consumption in the company. This would be instructive for those with low experience.

GE had such a document that was very instructive.

do not be afraid to ask questions at your new company.

be afraid to ask questions when in front of a client. if your question is a 'rookie' question, and you ask in front of a customer, the customer may get the impression that your company is inexperienced, so hold your tongue until you only have people on your team in the huddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back