Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Any way to make different views on a drawing show different reference sets? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isobar

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2013
US
Working on some very flexible tubes. For our production plant, they get a flat view where it's just a straight tube with all the clips and such on it. The assembly plant however needs a view in the installed position. So in the 3D data, all of this is done in one part instead of as an assembly... (don't ask, I am not allowed to just make them an assembly for some reason). So I'm stuck trying to figure out a way to do these drawings more efficiently. Currently I am making the views and just using "view dependent edit" to erase all the bodies out. I have reference sets already for the Flat part and the Installed part. Is there some option I'm overlooking possible for being able to link my reference sets to that view so I can just quickly change bodies around via reference set instead of having to do view dependent edits all the time? Or maybe you have a different solution... but doing it this way is just awful. If i could put it all into an assembly, I'd just have "flat" and "3D" as an assembly and it's a quick toggle during view creation, but since I'm working in the customers teamcenter, I have to follow their data structure and am not allowed to do assemblies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you put your FLAT and 3D versions on different layers? Then it is just a matter of doing Layers Visible In View instead of all that view dependent editing.

I don't think that would work. When I submit the data, they have an automated thing that moves all solids to layer 1 and everything to a different layer. So I am assuming that would screw up the views.

If you're talking about an Assembly, I would create different Arrangements and then you can place Arrangement-specific views.

Now, if you're talking about sheet metal where you have a 3D solid model and a 2D flat pattern, if you created the model using NX Sheet Metal and then created the Flat Pattern using those same tools, all you have to do is create a normal drawing of the 3D model and then ADD the 'Drawing view' that the Sheet Metal module automatically created when it created the Flat Pattern showing only the 2D curve layout.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Sorry for the earlier post, now I remember what I did a couple months ago. Make a couple different reference sets in your 3D model.
Now in your master drawing add your same component twice, or the number of different reference sets you have. Then set each of these components to a different reference sets.

Now create arrangements in your master drafting of the different components per the reference sets.

Now you can create your base views of the different arrangements.

What version of NX do you have? I was going to upload a test example.

Neither of those are the case John. These are flexible tubes, they have a "straight manufactured model" and a "installed model which involves a bunch of bends" but both are in the same part due to the customer's wonky system. I can't create an assembly because it is in their TC and in order to do it, they would have to generate part numbers which they don't want to do.

I will have to give your method a shot though SDETER, that sounds like it might be possible to do. I'm in NX11, however I understand what you're saying, so you wouldn't have to go the extra method to give me an example. I already have the reference sets created, so I'll have to just duplicate the part and try that method out.

I guess the use of the word "flat" and "3D" in the same sentence led me to thinking that this was a Sheet Metal issue.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Yeah sorry, it's the same concept as a flat vs sheet metal part, so they just copied the name of it. Straight stock probably works better than flat stock, but either way it sounds like there's no way to do exactly what I wanted, so I'll just have to do the way SDETERS mentioned.

Just use a Reference Set with all the bodies turned on.
Give each solid body it's own unique layer and use "Layer Visible in View" to filter out what you don't want to see in each view.

Done.

Dave
Automotive Tooling / Aircraft Tooling / Ground Support Structures

NX9, Win 7 Pro SP1

Dave
Automotive Tooling / Aircraft Tooling / Ground Support Structures

NX9, Win 7 Pro SP1

Wish it were that simple. See my response earlier to that same suggestion. The customer has a script to move all bodies to layer 1 and everything else gets moved to a different layer. So I wouldn't be able to do it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back