Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody here try Toastmasters? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekm

Structural
Mar 18, 2004
US
I just recently switched to working for a subsidiary of a "mega-corporation" which I'll keep un-named. Anyway, I'm really struggling to find my niche here. There just seems to be so much bureocracy, politics, and general "catty-ness" that it's difficult to actually get anything done. It appears that, even more so than actual knowledge, communication skills are paramount.

To that end, I've tried joining a local chapter of Toastmaster's. Does anyone here have experience with that? Does it help?

Thanks,

--
Joseph K. Mooney
FAA DER Structures

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing that I found with Toatmasters is not only did I learn how to overcome my mono-tone voice when presenting publicly (practice makes perfect) but I met people(network). If your local Toastmasters is close to your work you will meet people from your company which could change your outlook.....just a thought

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Toastmasters! now there you go! think about this, the #1 reason why businesses and project fails is ????

being a Toastmaster member can only benefit you/others you work with. i would not think twice about it!

btw, the answer is communication (the lack thereof or otherwise).

i can share an experience: each year, a previous employer held annual meetings with engr's and other professionals in company. one vp gave a presentation that was absolutely pathetic (poorly communicated). the following year, most folks remembered the previous year's presentation. thus were not looking forward to hearing from this vp again. well, turns out, he had a little training. without a doubt, he gave the best presentation of the bunch! thanks to toastmasters + other encouragement.

get after it and enjoy the ride!
good luck!
-pmover

It will certainly help your public speaking skills. Also the table topics discussions really hone your ability to speak to a subject at the drop of a hat. I really enjoyed Toastmasters.

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

I tried a lunch time toastmasters group at previous company.

I couldn't keep up. Projects and support issues seem to take control of my work schedule for 2-3 week periods then let up.

I thought it was very useful.

Don't be surprised if you find yourself surrounded with a lot of people with soft skills that function at varying educational levels with very diverse interests.

They all matter though. Most of us aren't successful without enlisting help and support from may different types of folks.

Yes, try Toastmasters! I was dragged there under duress by my partner who has been involved with it for ages. It's actually fun, and you meet an interesting group of people.
Have not started on the speeches yet, but even the impromptu "table topics" speeches and the chance to take on various roles (speech evaluator, timer, etc) gives one a very good experience in speaking in public speaking and running a meeting.

I had similar benefit from a Dale Carnegie course that I was encouraged to take at work. Improvements in public speaking, overall communication, thinking on your feet (impromptu speaking) are of great benefit to an engineer. I participated in competitive debate in college for two years. I have always said that I probably got more benefit from that (research, logic, speaking, and persuasion) than I got from most of my engineering courses.

A round of applause for Toastmasters! I highly recommend it.

As a young engineer, it gave me a lot of confidence to attain competence in speaking to a diverse audience. Before Toastmasters, when speaking before groups of people, I was one of the speakers whose arms, neck and torso could be observed to tremor, apparently out of shear fright. Through Toastmasters, practicing the craft of speaking before significant numbers of people gave me plenty of self-confidence as well as the accompanying presentation skills. Although few senior leaders at the "mega-corporation" where I used to work gave me more than a pat on the back for participating or even knew I was involved with Toastmasters, my experience with the group eventually worked to my favor.

In the same month that I completed my 10th Toastmaster speech, I gave a short speech at the local Council of Engineers and Scientists annual gathering. My boss' boss, the big cheese of our company's local branch, happened to be there along with an asphyxiating array of highly elevated, technical personalities. Aerospace project leaders, direct competitors, public works division heads, and potential clients were seated upright at twenty round tables, 10 to a table. My 3-minute speech, which introduced a new local chapter of a new national engineering non-profit, was OK--not perfect, but no uncertain uh's, stuttering or self-conscious repetition. After the event, my boss' boss jumped out of his chair and flew over to congratulate me and congratulate me again and again for stepping up to the mic and promoting the company to the community. The next day all the senior managers knew of this feat, and I gave another presentation to our company's local office that merited the non-profit a $10k donation.

Communication is not just about putting words together in a sentance. I do not think of myself as a particularly good communicator as I tend to waffle, make things fuzzy and generally just confuse people. I find it much easier to communicate with sketches than pure dialogue. Communication is also a more than just the words, a lot of it is to do with body language, they way you hold yourself and how you interact with other people.

I have never come across Toastmasters and from their website I was quite surprised to see they have a Chapter in my city. I dont think any of my colleagues have heard of them either so I think I will make some enquiries.

I have attended Dale Carnegie training - part of our corporate training and engineer development program. I haven't tried Toastmasters. Having said that, I would think that Toastmasters would be more beneficial, especially if you go regularly. Dale Carnegie is good, but unless you read the stuff all the time (and it will get boring), you will start to forget. Toastmaster is a regular thing - you do it all the time - so the more you do, the sharper you get.

Anyhow, you don't have anything to lose by trying it out for yourself. No?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I am a ten yr toastmaster rated as ATM, Able TM. I came on the rebound from considering Dale Carnegie.

Some are closet TM's; others are public types, like me:

- Gave a candidate forum for my town, and it was a success. My wife did the timing. At the end a young lady came to ask "How did you do it? I am from the League of Women Voters, and my meeting was a shambles." I replied that it was because of TM.

- Did eulogies for several close relatives; impossible without TM training. I wrote an article in The Toastmaster magazine on eulogies, and they formed a new eulogy section in the advanced manual.

- Did Amer Cancer Soc smoker clinics to help stop smoking.

- Presented detention classes for smoking teens in HS. I brought in a section of cancerous lung tissue for them to ponder over.

- More important, TM has given me the experience with communications to work for two yrs on a tech magazine, Plant Engineering.

- Further, I am working on my first NF book on aviation safety: The National Airline Academy - long overdue." Now seeking funding thru charitable trusts.

Do I believe in Toastmasters? Of course! Join Now!

Last night was my first Toastmasters and with out question I learned two things I can do to improve my communication with others.

Thanks Joseph and to all whom have participated here.

Sincerely

Maybe they're shy and don't like to talk to strangers. [smile]

Either phone or just show up at the next meeting!

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites faq559-520​
How to find answers ... faq559-1091​
SW2006-SP5 Basic ... No PDM​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back