Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody here try Toastmasters? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekm

Structural
Mar 18, 2004
US
I just recently switched to working for a subsidiary of a "mega-corporation" which I'll keep un-named. Anyway, I'm really struggling to find my niche here. There just seems to be so much bureocracy, politics, and general "catty-ness" that it's difficult to actually get anything done. It appears that, even more so than actual knowledge, communication skills are paramount.

To that end, I've tried joining a local chapter of Toastmaster's. Does anyone here have experience with that? Does it help?

Thanks,

--
Joseph K. Mooney
FAA DER Structures

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

joekm, I hope your discussion has helped other engineers enrich themselves and their peers. I just have to add one thing to my post above.

Once I demonstrated public speaking skills outside the branch office of the "mega-corporation", by presenting to area organizational meetings, a new supervisor stepped in, heard of my presentations, and then made it one of his goals to prove how "little" I actually knew about making a presentation. Needless to say, this was very uncomfortable for me, but I suppose it helped.

It's funny how great success brings even greater challenges.

Something to look forward to:
- Club speech contests;
- Area speech contests among several clubs;
- Division speech contests representing a large metro area;
- Get a copy of the National Speech Contest tape, CD or video, if you can't attend. It will be memorable.

You will notice in Toastmasters that it is populated with highly motivated types: professionals, real estate agents, salespersons, executives.

I once teamed with a lawyer in a debate contest with another club. We lost, but the experience was well worth the effort. The winner taught me how to win a debate.

You unattached types may find it a good place to meet interesting people.

That's true... although it's not my reason for attending the local meetings, as a secondary benefit, I have met several helpful professionals at a Toastmasters International meeting. One fellow Toastmaster, a real estate agent, helped get me into my first home on a fine deal for everyone involved.

The main, great benefit to attending meetings is the opportunity to practice speaking while on the spot. If you take the risk of speaking like a fool, acting like an idiot and performing outside your comfort zone, your public speaking skills will improve, because this organization was designed for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back