Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody here try Toastmasters? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joekm

Structural
Mar 18, 2004
US
I just recently switched to working for a subsidiary of a "mega-corporation" which I'll keep un-named. Anyway, I'm really struggling to find my niche here. There just seems to be so much bureocracy, politics, and general "catty-ness" that it's difficult to actually get anything done. It appears that, even more so than actual knowledge, communication skills are paramount.

To that end, I've tried joining a local chapter of Toastmaster's. Does anyone here have experience with that? Does it help?

Thanks,

--
Joseph K. Mooney
FAA DER Structures

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am going to give Toastmasters a try. I see lots of examples at work of how bad communication can hurt a project. (Don't forget, listening is a part of communication)

Thank you "joekm" for starting this thread. Without it, I probably wouldn't learn of Toastmasters for who knows how long. A co-worker and I made our first visit last night.

The group was friendly, and asked us to participate in whatever we were comfortable with. I think this is a very inexpensive way to improve yourself. As professionals, we should all be able to communicate effectively. Toastmasters seems to be an effective tool that allows us to do so.

Thanks for the thread. It spurred me into going to a meeting last week.

It was pretty good. I think I'll join. It went well except for when I had to give an impromptu answer to a question in a exercise they call "table topics" :). I stammered a bit because I didn't expect to be called on as a guest and I hadn't thought out my answer to the topic question. It was pretty neat though. That's what we go for anyway, isn't it?

Thanks again. I am looking forward to the next meeting.

Ed

Breaking into Toastmasters may be a challenge, and once involved there are many more to come. Organizing information, improving presentations, providing constructive feedback, and running the show are all opportunities a Toastmasters' gathering presents.

For me, one benefit to Toastmasters was not just practicing my speeches, but especially listening to other speakers, while learning something special about our community. Each of us brought our ideas to the gathering and hammered out our strengths and weaknesses together. I cannot say enough how helpful the organization was to my life.

If you are at all hesitant to finding a local group based on someone else's experience there, be encouraged to reserve some energy to explore the group on your own.

For me TM has been a lifechanging experience. You don't need a written invitation to attend. They will be happy to see you. Local neswpapers list them, also. Some are AM meetings; others are lunchtime; some after work. I favored the evening meeting so that I could relax over a light dinner.

There are company based TM groups restricted to company employees. They usually meet at lunch time. I helped organize the Sears HQ TM group. Also was involved in starting a German TM group in the Chicago area.

Plasgears, ATM

I went to a Toastmasters meeting last night.

One good thing that I noticed was that when I made notes about the speakers I made the same observations as the experienced Toastmasters.

The Table Topic was a big challenge for me. Somehow I managed to eke out over a minute of impromptu speaking.

Yea, nothing like walking to the podium with not even the remotest clue as to what you are going to say. However, the ability to "think on my feet" as it were, has already helped me at my current job.

I've actually joined two different chapters of Toastmaster's that meet on alternate Thursdays. So, essentially, I go every Thursday. One of these is at a Chinese Buffet resturant. So, I suggested that we just grab a tray of fortune cookies and use them for table topics. In other words, go up to the podium, open up a fortune cookie, and do two minutes on whatever the fortune is.

--
Great Spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
-- Albert Einstein

I've actually only just joined so I've yet to do my "icebreaker" - partially due to the holidays interrupting things. Although, I've practiced it and it's timing around 5 1/2 to 6 minutes. I've also written speech 5 (The body speaks), but it's weighing in over 10 minutes...and I'm not clear on how to pare it down.

I've been practicing in the car on the way to work. I find that other motorist give you a wide berth if they see you talking to nobody in particular in a very animated fashion :)

As far as how to gage the time...I'm really not sure...everyone has thier estimate on how many minutes per page, etc.

Try the "rule of threes" or whatever they call it. Think of three things about yourself that give a snapshot of "you" and try to segway from one to the other. If they are too different to link together, think of some larger topic that they all describe and make that the underlying theme. For example, 1) Affinity for "Gadgets", 2) good at math, 3) Likes to build and Tinker could possibly all describe typical "engineer" traits.

I think if you pick three things and write the necessary words to either link or encompass them, you'll have your 4-6 minutes.

But practice it and see.

--
-- Albert Einstein

As I recall from the meeting, they mentioned having a beginning or intro, body and end to the speech.

The rule of 3 will be a big help in getting started and avoiding writers block.

I did a Google search and found suggestions from radio copywriters for radio spots.

75 to 100 words = 30 seconds, 150 to 190 words for 60 seconds.

I gave it a try. For 30 seconds, 75 to 90 words could work out, 100 may be pushing it. If the word "Mississippi" = 1 second, then 60 of those would be 60 seconds. However, not every word in a speech will have 4 syllables.

I will use the copywriters suggestions as a guide and see how it works out.

Yes, but remember, you want to sound "conversational". There will be times when you pause between words or otherwise transisition from one idea to the next.

Although, if you shoot for 5 minutes, you've got a lot of leeway.

--
-- Albert Einstein

I think there will be a lot of "learning by doing" involved.

My bosses at work are supportive of me being in Toastmasters, so I think it will open some doors in the future. I may get started on my Icebreaker now, so I have time to refine it and practice before I have to do it.
Being prepared will help me a lot with being comfortable.
The Table topic was rough for me. I can easily converse on things that I am interested in, but getting a topic out of left field and speaking on it is tough.

Oh yea...my first shot at table topics was to pull out a random strip of paper. Mine said, "My Challenge to All of You...".

Boy, talk about a one-sentance brain fart...but I managed.

--
-- Albert Einstein

Put Toastmasters on your resume. I got a call from a job opportunity where they value TM training.

Not well appreciated is the fact that TM is a part of the world of communications, and it may lead to publishing opportunities, as it did in my case.

It also may propel you into writing a book. My book in prep is "the National Airline Academy - long overdue." I have incorporated and gotten non-profit status for the purpose of seeking funding from charitiable trusts. I have a flight instructor background with an inside view of the airline industry.

I can't help it...to me "TM" will always mean "Transcendental Meditation", which puts a totally different spin on some of the posts in this thread...

Hg
easily amused

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

So, do one of your speeches in the character of:

Avenagutime Vishnue-verhere

:)

--
-- Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back