Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone Interested in a District Energy Forum? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garak

Mechanical
Feb 17, 1999
CA
I work with a branch of the Canadian Federal Government that is working to promote the efficient use of district energy (heating and cooling) in Canada. We've worked on many projects that involve heating with biomass and a variety of other fuels that decrease community dependence on outside sources of energy. Other areas of interest include using residual sources of low-grade heat for domestic hot water and space heating usage as well as renewable energy technologies (A different group in the same branch of government). If there is sufficient interest, maybe a new forum or category could be started.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work at a facility with a good sized district heating and cooling system, but it is not of the variety that avoids outside sources of energy. It does have a 2.2 million gallon chilled water storage tank to avoid electrical demand charge. I'd be interested in tuning in to such a forum, but may not have much to contribute.

I'll be out of town and away from my speedy computer for a bit. (My laptop and modem being circa 1992!!) But I will be interested in chairing or adding to a discussion on this topic soon.

I am professor at a Norwegian university and teaching (renewable) energy related subjects. This autumn I am starting teaching a new subject, Local Energy Planning. So I am very interested participating your proposed forum !

I would be very interested in such a forum. I am a marketer of geothermal heat pumps, which the EPA has determined is the most cost-effective, environmentally clean technology for heating and cooling. The President of United States, George Bush, uses this technology in his ranch home in Texas, as does Vice President Dick Cheney in the U.S. Naval Observatory, which is his official residence.

Currently, I represent the geothermal engineer who did the geothermal engineering and loop design for the 110,000 square foot Bard College Performing Arts Center, designed by architect Frank O. Gehry and now under construction.

There are 500,000 geothermal heat pumps in use in the United States, including 560 schools. It saves between 25% and 50% in energy costs, as well as eliminating greenhouse gases. Since it uses electricity to move heat, instead of generate it, it is much more efficient than the best fossil fuel boilers.

I am working with a Canadian contractor which is promoting this technology, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back