Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anyone using SW2008 yet? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been using SW '08 for a couple of months now and I really like it. It takes a bit to get used to, but keep an open mind. The Instant 3D is pretty cool, as are the new DimXpert and FilletXpert tools. Out of all the enhancements, there have to be a couple you like, right? Plus, there really isn't any point in fighting it, you will be assimilated. [borg2]

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

We are not a design company and I don't use SW works on a daily or sometimes a monthly basis. I use SW to make tooling improvments every now and then for our manufacturing equipment. With all the changes to the interface I will just about have to start over on the learning curve.

Why is my handle 65Roses?
Please visit to learn why!

We have the dvd's but are waiting until we finish this short scheduled project....no time for pissing around with a new UI

Heckler [americanflag]
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

This post contains no political overtones or undertones for that matter and in no way represents the poster's political agenda.

Installed 2008 yesterday, SP0.1 today.

I hate it already.

Everything is in a different place, and works differently.

There's a whole palette of crap that follows the cursor around. Okay, it's not crap, it's stuff that used to be in other places, and pretty much stayed put ... so you could find it when you needed it. The contents of the palette changes, probably in relation to context, but so far it seems more random than that. Everything is an icon, which will explain its meaning eventually, but waiting for the meaning to appear, or remembering the correct click, is a _lot_ slower than reading a labeled button.

EVERYTHING fades in and out like a damn Cheshire cat.

All of this UI complexity does not come for free. It's noticeably slower.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Theophilus,

After two years worth of requesting that our VAR update the address that our disks were shipped to, I found a link to do it on the customer portal. Log in, click on My Profile and hidden in the space between the My Profile and My Company sections is a line that says “To request a change to your email address or company information,Click Here.” That link lets you fire off an e-mail to the people who can change it. I received a reply back later that day.

Eric

Mike ... that's the first reaction many people have had, but after trying it for a while they are finding that they are liking it.

Apparently most of the "enhancements" you mentioned can be disabled. You may have to wade through the Help and Options to find all the OFF switches ... unless people start posting them here.

[cheers]

I installed the beast on Monday, and I'm still customizing it so I don't have to look all over Hell's creation for commands. FYI not all of your settings from '07 will import directly. I've had to change some of my templates to get up to snuff, add/remove toolbars and commands, etc. By the way, they still haven't fixed the undocking toolbar issue. Yesterday I actually got to do some designs with the new set-up. Mike has a good point. It is a bit slower. I may have to cram some more RAM into my rig.

I tried the open the 13K+ body part that we worked on in thread559-198429, to no avail. I think it's all of the Realview Graphics/ Photoworks stuff bogging things down.

Even with these issues, I'm with Mirisola. There are some good ideas and improvements here. I does take a bit of getting used to, but such is progress...r so they tell me. It'll probably take a couple of weeks to get full use out of every nook and cranny of the new release. Old(ish) habits die hard.

It will be interesting to see whether or not we all end up liking these changes.

Dan

Thanks, Eric! Wish I'd known that three years ago when SW kept sending my discs elsewhere. I had the same problem of SW corporate having no idea my REAL address was held by my VAR. You'd think a common database would be SOOOOOO easy in comparison with building this sort of software.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

I installed it from the DVD on Monday and found out my CadMan would no longer work so I ordered a Space Explorer through the 25% off 3dConnexion website for SolidWorks subscription users. So I have not only have to get used to the software but the controller also. It is very different but I find it a lot more intuitive. I usually attend a what's new at the VARs but it didn't happen this time. I've been using this since 2001+ and I think this has been the most significant change in the overall look. So far I like it, some getting used to but in the long run I think this will prove to be easier to navigate and also be more productive. Just MHO.

Dennis

SolidWorks 2007 SP3.0
Windows XP Pro, Pentium4 3.00GHz
1GB RAM, Nvidia FX500
Logitech Marble Mouse, SpaceExplorer

I should have rephrased. I am scared after Beta 1. I will end up installing it today.. I will go into it open minded.

I am actually looking forward to the save to illustrator format right out of a drawing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back