Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anyone using SW2008 yet? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To all you 08 haters out there.

Learn to Adapt.

That's why we humans are still on this earth you may hate it at first but I expect 2008 to be more efficient.

Notice that all the valuable toolbar space that used to be wasted on several types of arcs and lines and dims now have flyouts to compress the space they take up. Also when adding constraints instead of having to go to the Manager Tab they are conveniently located as well as the Dimension toolbar right whhere your mouse is.

When you click on any sketch entity and that mini floating toolbar appears there are constraints as well as the dimension icon that you can select to add dims.

One thing I wish the constraints tool bar had was a pin type icon to allow it to stay visible after adding the initial constraint for a set of entities similar to how UGNX does it. On NX if you hold CTRL down while picking entities it will show available constraints that can be added after your first constraint pick.

Another thing I dislike is the inability to use Alt keys to switch between he 3 tabs that display for dimensions. At least you don't have to scroll to the bottom for more Properties but you can't use CTRL+r either.

Michael

I hope the new interface changes aren't an effort to free up screen space (again--like 2004). Everyone's already got big monitors now, except maybe a few laptop users--who would still have high-resolution screens, even if small, so this wouldn't be an issue. I signed up for the beta but never had time to mess with it this summer--so I don't know if this is a case of requiring more mouse clicks to do the same thing in an effort to free up screen space or not. If so, that's why the 2004 interface failed--it didn't turn out to be more efficient.

Regardless, I'm eager to make use of some of the other new stuff--and to see this new interface. Has SW posted the What's New PDF already?

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe transcends reason.

I installed it a week or so ago and I like it so far. It takes a little change in your methods but as I go I find that I can work faster.

It helps if you went to a roll out seminar and got to see how it works and where things are. :)

2008 is a signifigant change in the interface & there are many added features & functions.

Did you know that you can now use any cylindrical surface (instead of an axis) for a circular feature pattern...?

I firmly believe that the "bang" of the added functionality will outweigh the "buck" of the new interface... real soon.

Anybody try the "S" key shortcut menu yet?

The FILLET EXPERT rocks absolutely too...!

I could go on...

Jack L Tate said:
Right-click. It's friggin' magic!
FAQ376

I've been running it since first available and aside from not having my spacepilot work until last week it's not too bad so far. The new UI is decent and takes some getting used to just like M$ Office 2007. I just wish I could get the 'copy with mates' feature to work on a multi-body assembly (see rebar in concrete).

Tony Murschel, CSWA
Dual Xeon 5160 10GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 4500
Solidworks 2008 SP0.1 x64
Solidworks 2007 SP4.0 x64

OK after being scared, i installed it. After shutting off instant 3D, and getting used to the flyout toolbars.... i don't mind it.

Searching the feature tree is nice, as are the flyouts when you click on a feature to edit sketch/feature.

The UI seems to bog down the process a little bit more than 2007, but I am working with moderately heavy surface files, so that is to be expected I guess.

Well, I got 2008 installed finally today. It took 4 tries! Turns out, the license file that was sent to me was a temp file. I called my VAR, he sent me the correct one. Then, it didn't like having the 2007 info on the server. I had to delete it! [banghead]
nightmare![hairpull3]
But it works now. [yawn]

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)
ctopher's blog

Ok, installed it on <b>one</b> machine in the department for testing purposes. The only question that I haven't been able to find anywhere in any of the documentation is this: What is the point of the BOM drop down menu in the customer properties?

I haven't seen it (can you show an image) but it is probably related to the new bi-directional functionality between the BOM and the Custom/Config Properties. Maybe it's showing the properties which are being used in, or created by, the BOM.

[cheers]

Only for some users ...
I had found out today, if you are using both SolidWorks and AutoCAD, you need to have SW installed first, then ACAD. SW has add-ins that attach to ACAD.
If you see errors like "lmgrd", etc., SW & ACAD are not communicating well.
If ACAD is installed, uninstall it, then install SW, reinstall ACAD.

If both are installed, with errors, uninstall both then install SW then ACAD.
PITA!

SolidWorks says that it is not a problem having ACAD installed first. This is true for some users, not all. Depending on setup, hardware and license type.

Chris
SolidWorks 08 0.0/PDMWorks 08
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)
ctopher's blog

"Just loaded SW2008. What was DS thinking? I hate the new user interface. Very annoying. If I wanted this sort of headache I would have purchased Inventor!"

and then:

"Ok, I'm finally getting over the shock of the change. I'm a little happier now since I've opened up some tool bars and arranged them to get a similiar look and feel to that of SW2007."

What a surprise ;-) Why complain about something having installed it 5 minutes before and not trying it out first? Some people are very strange!

In my opinion it is very nice and took barely any time at all to get used to. Seems just as, if not more, intuitive than previous versions. My only complaint would be that the graphical loveliness comes at a price - even with 2Gb of RAM it runs noticeably slower :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back