Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone using the Prog. Die Wizzard on NX5? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieMan44

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2004
US
We ajust started testing NX5 with the die wizzard. We gave up on it in NX3. From the looks of it, they are now including metaform but calling it one-step unforming. My question is how many of you on this board are using the PDW, and how do you like it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Die Man:
Our Stamping designers have had PDW for 18 months and have been trained in NX3 and PDW from (UGS)Siemens. I myself design product and have history with molds(cast/plastic) and trim dies. They really haven't used it much unfortunately. We are in the process of bringing on TC and NX5 from ideas. is PDW compatable with 5.02.2, last i heard it wasn't. They have been doing a few strips but not entire designs.

I'm using 5.0.1.4. But I thought I saw an update for 5.0.2.2 on Siemens web site. I hope to get more feed back on the PDW. Since your team is doing strip layouts, are they using the One-Step Unforming or Metaform tool? I seem to be having trouble gererating a correct blank.

Dieman:
Are you using it in Native or TC? We run MoldWizard in Tc an it is a dog, i am afraid to see what will happen with PDW. Our local UGS guy was in last week and sugesseted getting a licence for One Stem Formability Analysis, this will flatten coins and gussets and draws. He wasn;t able to show it but it seems to be what we need. with the product end i have found it best to have clean NX Sheet Metal parts. I flatten them for them so I'm am not sure what they would use.
Thanks

No, we are not running TC. We only have 2 seats with 3 licenses, my co-designer writes some maching progams, thus the 3rd. From what I understand TC would be nice to have, ie better file management. Not only do we do tool and fixture design, we (myself) receieve tons of math data from G.M. to quote for our stamping plant. It would be very useful in comparing different math levels instead of searching through our whole network every time. To bad our IT department doesn't want to spend the time implementing it. I haven't seen any new TC disks in a while, so maybe they stopped paying for it. As far as the One Step Formability Analysis, it is something I would like to know more about unless it's like the metaform license, which I was told was a $10k add-on to the PDW, but was told it was included originaly. That's the main reason we never used the PDW. I was hoping the one-step unforming would be as good as metaform, but I still can not generate a correct blank. As far as my testing is going at this point, we may cancel our PDW license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back