Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 560 Furnace Tube 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortmceng

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2008
CA
API 560 Section 7.1.4 does not allow furnace tubes to be circumferentially welded to make up for the effective tube length for example 15' of two length of pipe to make up for 30' effective tube length by circumferentially welding two pipe ends. Does anyone know why and what are the risk of doing so.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For furnace tubes or piping for new construction of heat transfer equipment you are introducing a butt weld within a span that can result in failure in service. This is poor engineering design practice.

metengr

I understand that it is not a good practice but I am trying to find is what kind of failure mechanism could be expected on that butt joint. Is failure going to be in short term or long term.

Thanks

fortmceng;
The potential failure mechanisms are mechanical fatigue or creep/fatigue. If the weld is sound, you are probably looking at more of a longer term damage mechanism. If the weld quality is poor, you can have short term problems – leak from slag or IP or fatigue caused by weld undercut along the OD surface. If you need this butt weld, I would make sure you conduct a 100% volumetric examination of the weld, and blend grind the weld cap flush with the OD surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back