API 5L X70 welding filler metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakhmed

Mechanical
Dec 24, 2002
TN
Dear All,

Can some body help me to determine the filler metal type to weld API 5L X70 pipe thickness 18mm with FCAW and SMAW process.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not use 70 tensile strength filler metal as X70 has a minimum tensile strenth of 82 ksi. You might achieve that based on what brand/type of consumable you use, but not probable.

I assume you are not going to PWHT. In that case, I would use either E81T1-K2 (more than 1% Ni, so make sure NACE requriements for sour service are not imposed), or 8018-C3.

fakhmed,
As in most situations, there are numerous choices that will work. I've done as GRoberts has suggested and qualified a procedure using a low Ni electrode, but, Lincoln recommends among other things, 8018G. As to PWHT, you'll have to evaluate whether or not this is necessary based on other criteria.

8018-G really means nothing by itself. It just means it ia 80 minimum tensile strength, and of any chemistry. It could be a 12 Cr creep resistant electrode for all the 8018-G classification tells us. Each -G electrode has to be evaluated seperately with input from the manufacturer. There are literally tens if not hundereds of different kinds of -G electrodes out there, and they are all for different applications.

I've ordered already E81T1-K2M wire 1.2 and 1.6mm and we will proceed the welding with 80°C preheat and without PWHT for the pipe 1200mm diameter and 18mm thickness.

What is your opinion?

This standard is required by our customer to manufacture from welded pipe some fittings (Elbow, Tee,...) Diameter 1200mm Thickness 18mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back