API 620 ANCHORAGE RATIO 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oolivares

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2014
PE
Hello there,
Is it possible to have as a result on calculating the anchorage ratio as a negative value, according API 650/620 J<054 but in my calculations I obtain -6.57... because of the parameter "-Wint", by the way my design pressure is 4.3 psig,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You calculate the J factor to see if the tank is stable without anchor bolts for pressure+seismic.
However, a tank with 4.3 psi is nearly always going to be anchored due to pressure alone- see the first sentence in 5.11.2.1 in API-620, for example.
Looking at the J equation, it appears that in any case where J calculates negative, anchorage is already required due to pressure alone.

Thanks, JStephen,
So, according your answer, a negative value of the anchorage ratio "J" is permitted?
The software Tank gave me those results, take a look to the attachment, please. According the message in the software, the Tank is stable (for seismic loading) and do not require anchorage but I have to mention that for Wind loadings the software indicates to anchor the tank.

J_ratio_guqyi9.png

That shows wt is 280.63 and wint is 1979.9, so pressure uplift is already 700% of dead load, so there's no reason to calculate J in the first place.
The numbers plugged in may be right, just the program should detect that the step is not needed and omit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back