Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

API 650 - tolerances for 7.3.5.8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eduardo1982

Mechanical
Oct 31, 2014
CL
Hello everyone. According to API 650 paragraph 7.3.7.9 it is necessary to make some internal measurements in the tank before and after the hydrotest. What I understand is that with these measurements we could estimate some internal settlement at the bottom of the tank... but is there any tolerance for this? What is this code point for? Or are these values ​​that one must maintain so that during a future intervention of the tank in operation, we can make a comparative between data and see settlements over time?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Eduardo - not sure which edition of API 650 you are looking at and what "PH" means. But if you are looking at the pre- and post- hydrotest data I think the game is that the tank builder is contractually required to give the owner a tank that meets API 650 tolerances. Pre- and post- hydro data may help the owner understand if the tank fails to meet some criteria due to foundation settlement or if the tank builder did a bad job.

I don't see that there is an actual tolerance applied to these measurements, they are simply reported.
I believe API-653 has procedures for evaluating bottom settlements that seem to be excessive.

An API 650 tank is new until it is put in service. Hydrotest is generally not considered "in service" since it is essentially NDE. The tank builder is responsible to deliver a tank that meets API requirements. API 650 does not have a tolerance on the bottom slope therefore it is a matter of the contractual agreement between the owner and the tank builder. The pre- and post- measurements will help the tank builder get paid, the owner be assured his new tank meets API 650 and the terms of the contract and help resolve disputes between the tank builder and the foundation builder.

Eduardo1982 (Mechanical),

You did not provide alot of info. here.. ( dia., height, foundation type , service ..)

API 650 specify tolerances for the foundation settlement ( uniform, differential ) however, silent for the internal settlement at the bottom of the tank..

There are some company standards which may be consider ,

Assuming the tank bottom is cone-up, the slope from the apex to the perimeter of the tank shall justify a minimum flow and there shall not be local depressions which may cause ponding of the content.

In general ,for typical soil conditions , the settlement at the center of the tank could be 3-4 times of the settlement measured at perimeter.

The bottom slope shall be chosen to satisfy a reasonable slope after hydrotest..

My opinion based on past our company experience..

PS. I have internet access problem and could reply with delay if you have further querries.

Use it up, wear it out;
Make it do, or do without.

NEW ENGLAND MAXIM

@ IFRs
1) Hydro mentioned in API 650 Appendix T as NDE was an error.

2) On 12 February 1952 a large all-welded oil-storage tank collapsed during hydrotest at the Esso Petroleum plant at Fawley in Hampshire. Hydrotesting had commenced on 30 January following completion of the tank, but was halted when a 0.6m long vertical crack appeared in the bottom two strakes. The tank was emptied and the crack repaired. When the hydrotest was recommenced on the 11 February, the air temperature was near freezing and the water temperature +4°C. The tank split when the water reached 90% of the tank height, a continuous vertical fracture running through the parent plate of every strake. The shell was torn from the tank bottom and collapsed on the surrounding band, leaving the roof lying on the base.
Brittle fracture.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back