Status
Not open for further replies.

vessexst

Mechanical
May 18, 2019
PK
Hello,

I have a question regarding the use of appendix 2 flanges vs standard flanges

If the diameter of heat exchanger is such that standard flange of ASME B16.47, series A can be used, should you go for a standard body flange or a non standard flange??

Since, I have noticed that a standard ASME flange, if calculated as per the rules of appendix 2 fails.
Moreover, standard B16.47 Series A flange, if checked as per rules of appendix 2, require a higher thickness than a standard B16.47 series B flange

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Standard flanges should be used wherever possible. The cost of designing and fabricating a custom flange is expensive and should be a last resort. If a custom flange is required, and there is no alternative, then the procedures included in Mandatory Appendix 2 can be utilized for designing a custom flange. The ASME Code accepts the standard pressure-temperature ratings of ASME B16.5 for flanges, classes 150 to 2500, ½” to 24”. For larger diameter flanges use ASME B16.47.

Thank you all for your comments. It was helpful
But why do the standard flanges fail when the same parameters are designed as per appendix 2?

Any halfway reputable HX manufacturer will provide custom designed girth flanges as a matter of course. The advantages of doing so are too many to list. If your fabricator is offering a B16.47 girth flange, find a different fabricator. If you are the fabricator, hire a designer that knows what he's doing.

Standard flanges often fail under Appendix 2 because the design rationales are not the same.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

@Sntman: So, do you mean to say that the use of standard body flange for a heat exchanger is not a recommended practice? BTW, I have heard of a U stamp heat exchanger using a standard body flange and passed by AI. Dont know if it is true or not but I did hear this

vessexst, absolutely, std B16.5 / B16.47 flanges may be used as body flanges, and it may make a certain amount of sense for some pipe sized units. But you have so much more flexibility with custom-designed flanges. The exact inside diameter desired, widest possible choice of styles and sizes of gaskets, male / female raised faces as needed for confined joints, explicit design consideration of pass partition ribs, explicit consideration of any client special design requirements and so on.

And really a Series B flange would typically be preferred over a Series A anyway as it is a more compact flange. Few shell & tube fabricators would ever consider something like a B16.47 for a body flange.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

UHX-4(b)says that if pass partitions are present, then standard flanges are no longer standard; hence you have to design per Appendix 2. Or account for them in some other manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back