Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying a color to a layer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew4792

Automotive
Nov 7, 2013
US
I would like to be able to have a layer be a certain color.
So when I assign something to that layer it changes to that color.
I know Auto CAD do this. I am suprised that NX can not.
Is this because they do not think it is necessary?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well when I am working on a plastic part that is all surface and I am trying to sew them together. I like to split the A and B sides up onto different layers. I also like to have them different colors. So I have to take an extra step to get where I want to be. So for me it is necessary.

If you feel it is necessary, contact GTAC and open an enhancement request (ER). Then it will be considered for development into a future version.

Another option is to use a journal. We could help you write a journal that would allow you to move objects to a layer and assign a new color. Not exactly the same as assigning a color to a layer, but maybe the next best thing...

www.nxjournaling.com

This idea has been around for years and I suspect that there are dozens of ER's covering this as well. The truth be told, I wouldn't waste my time as it's not going to happen as it would be a major architecture project since colors are currently assigned to objects and to somehow implement a layer-based scheme would be very complex and would provide very little return.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I have had some mold wizard experience in the past, when you generate the core and cavity side of the plastic part, and shut off surfaces, it controls each side of the material separately and applies a defined color to each side and to the shutoff area, and a different color to area's that it cannot figure out, then you can tell the system which side you want those arras's to reside and it moves them to that side. You can view each set of surfaces or both together.
Very nice when working with molds!

Brian Marchand-Die Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 / PDW
Dell Precision T7610 w/Xeon ES-2609
16G Ram - Nvidia Quadro K5000
Win 7 Pro x64

Yes, but if you look at the final results, the colors were assigned to explict objects/bodies, not to something like a 'layer' where if you moved an object/body from one layer to another, that it would automatically change color based on some sort of 'layer' scheme. This is what the OP is asking for, the ability to define a color to a 'layer' and NOT to explicit objects.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Computervision had that back in the early days, CADDS 4 & 4X. PTC did not carry it forward into Pro/E after they bought CV. While it did have its uses, color assigned to the object as NX does is much better and allows better control.
If you are moving a bunch of objects to a certain layer and then want them colored for clarity, a GRIP or journal could set the color of all objects on a layer to a specified color.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back