Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Architecture and Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjd97

Structural
May 2, 2006
US
Question: I am currently searching for employment as a structural engineer. It seems to me that most positions available are with firms either specializing in Architecture or Structural Engineering with Architects on the staff. Are we seeing a trend at which the two are merging? As an Engineer, I have seen it's tough to make money working with Architects. Is this the solution to the problem? If you can't beat'em, join'em?

Any comments?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Before there were structural engineers, electrical engineers, HVAC engineers, fire protection engineers... there were architects and builders.

And God created the builder. And low the builder did build on the earth but the buildings of the builder were dull and collapsed.

So God created the architect, and he instructed the builder to build great structures of the most aesthetically pleasing form. But verily I say unto thee the structures did still collapse.

So God created the Civil/Structural Engineer and low by means of calculation and analysis the Engineer did make the designs of the Architect stand firm on the fundament and did ensure that the builder built to the design. But the structures were less beautiful than those of the Architect alone, and more costly than those of the builder alone and there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth

And sorely did the Civil/Structural Engineer greave and plead with the Lord saying “Oh Lord that I was more intelligent and could be a ______ (fill in blank with your specialty) Engineer. I wouldst give unto thee my slide rule, AutoCAD and soil science equations”. But the ears of the Lord were death to them and he sent out environmental Engineers among the multitude…

It is also important to choose your field wisely. If you are an engineer and choose to be on a team that designs churches and schools vs. who designs bridges, high rises, power plants, industrial systesm, data centers or technical facilities you are bound to get furstrated.

There is also a reason architects are paid "less" now-a-days than engineers (in the USA).

No one said architects are stupid. I cannot believe some engineers think that they "need" architects to survive. Every professional should be able to survive on one's own, architects included. There is a place for everyone.

without architects.....we'd all be out of work because of course no one would be making changes to building projects at the very last minute. and without us, they'd be designing 8 inch fin cantilever walls at the top of skyscrapers that deflect like 6 feet, LOL. they make the job interesting....but i don't think we're at their mercy.

i do think that engineers are some of the most pretentious, arrogant, sensitive, insecure individuals out there. i've never seen a group of people who get so worked into a tizzy and try to insult each other's intelligence.

Sometime I wish I had the courage to go back to school and be an architect. I think I can really design cool houses where the common walls will stack up to foundation!!!! And I will have spots to put columns all the way to foundation!! Crazy architects! :)

Portugal Pavillion
EXPO98
By Álvaro Siza Vieira

103.jpg

Luis

I'm one of those odd-balls who stayed in college way too long. Got a bachelor's in architecture at one school, and a BSCE/MSCE in structual civil engineering at another.

This world needs both architects and engineers, and Lord help the person who wants to be both.

After my junior year in architecture, I was frustrated by the lack of "reality" and started taking CE classes in structures, which I loved.

But after finishing my architecture degree, and taking just civil classes, I was frustrated by the lack of "art" in engineering. Structural steel can be really ugly without something covering it!

Is it so difficult in today's world to turn something functional, like a building, into something nice to look at? I look at the Chrysler Building in New York City and I think , if they could do that in the 30's, why shouldn't we have that today? And here I sit at work, solving problems, managing projects and averting crises and not designing a darn thing.

"Is it so difficult in today's world to turn something functional, like a building, into something nice to look at? I look at the Chrysler Building in New York City and I think , if they could do that in the 30's, why shouldn't we have that today?"

We have the technology today. The problem is money.

In quite a few business models, it makes sense for engineers to hire architects (and other discipline engineers) on their staff to cover everything under one roof. The E/A firm or A/E firm if you want to call it that - then has some competitive advantages in coordination and working together as well. This model isn't going to work universally, but makes sense in a lot of markets. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes is becoming a trend.

whyun: I second that opinion. Down at the lakeshore in Toronto is the beautiful Harris Water Filtration Plant, written about so eloquently by Michael Ondaatje's novel "In the Skin of a Lion". Gorgeous inside and out-a real work of art. Beautiful materials used everywhere- limestone, marble, brass... Built as a temple to public works, in the days when public institutions and public works were held in some considerable esteem.

There's no shortage of people capable of designing and building structures like that- there's just a shortage of taxpayers willing to foot the bill for something as mundane as a "utility"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back