Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Are MIL specifications out of date?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We occasionally use them when no other industry standard can be found. I try to avoid them like the plague because most vendors automatically raise their price when they see a MIL spec.

MIL specs are still the main source a lot of items. Even other standards will reference them. It depends on which area you are in. If you are using materials or documentation, I wouldn't personally callout the MIL. However, if talking about hard shell shipment cases, I might refer to them.

Matt Lorono
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources
Co-moderator of Solidworks Yahoo! Group
and Mechnical.Engineering Yahoo! Group

As others said a lot of the MIL standards are gradually being replaced or at least supplemented by other standards, primarily ASME for this type of thing.

Normally a google search will turn this up.

Looks like the replacement for MIL-I-43553 may be a work in progress.

One other point on the drawing, you ref ANSI Y14.5M. Current spec is ASME Y14.5M-1994 if that's what you mean to refer to. By putting ANSI are you deliberately referencing the 1982 version, if so may want to add -1982 to make this clear.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Ringman is correct. Clarification is needed.
Also, if a silkscreen house is doing this work, I don't think they will understand the MIL specs. Maybe split the dwg into two, one for fab and the other for silkscreen? Unless you do it all in house.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)

We will update the ANSI spec...but this is more about the MIL specs.

If I understand you guys correctly, there isn't a non-MIL spec for the print yet? This is a purchased part.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back