Are You An Engineer If You Don't Pass The P.E.? 31

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
"Illinois case worries engineering organizations."

Here is the article in Design News. Is this safe to post, or has the subject been flogged to death? [smile]

Critter.gif
JHG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

shamsdebout...Most engineering technology degrees are not considered equivalent to an engineering degree. Your degree was apparently not ABET certified, so many states will not recognize it as being equivalent.

Why did you go with an engineering technology degree if you were considering licensing? Why not go with the full, accredited engineering degree?

NAFTA caused many states to implement more flexible educational requirements.

From the Texas Engineering Practice Act and Rules Effective 12/21/08

§133.65 Examination on the Fundamentals of Engineering
(a) An undergraduate student who is within two full-time regular semesters (not including summer sessions) of graduating may take the examination on the fundamentals of engineering at a location prescribed by the board provided that the student is enrolled in a degree program in Texas and the program is:
(1) an engineering program accredited or approved by the EAC/ABET;
(2) a four year baccalaureate technical program accredited or approved by the TAC/ABET; or
(3) an engineering-related science program of four years or more that has been approved by the board.
(4) a non-engineering related curriculum or other degree in which the student has provided evidence acceptable to the executive director as meeting the minimum requirements of §1001.302(a)(1)(A) or (B) of the Act.
(b) Persons who demonstrate that they meet the educational requirements for a license and who have not passed the examination on the fundamentals of engineering while in college and who are residents of Texas may apply to the board to take the examination in accordance with the applicable examination schedule adopted by the board.
(c) Persons who do not meet the criteria of subsection (a) of this section, but who need only to complete the examination on the fundamentals of engineering to fulfill the graduation requirements of a degree program that would meet the educational requirements for a license, may apply to the board to take the examinations in accordance with the applicable examination schedule adopted by the board.

Ron, my degree is an ABET TAC accredited degree. I will be able to become professionally licensed in my state, it will take me an additional 3 years. To be honest I didn't give any thought of becoming professionally licensed when I was in school, I liked the program at my school and I didn't transfer to the only public school in the state that offers an engineering degree. I wanted to delve more into electronics but couldn't find a job in that, got into the MEP world and I like it so far.
My only gripe is that the so-called exam to demonstrate competency is not really what it is made to be. Why have the exam if after you pass the exam you don't get the benefits?

Shamsdebout...why an additional three years? Is there a course of study that they are requiring? Additional coursework? Additional internship? That seems a bit odd.

Have you considered petitioning the other states?

You are working in MEP but your degree is in Electrical. That can be part of the issue, particularly if your state is a discipline-specific state (Louisiana, Illinois, California and numerous others).

Good luck.

Without the engineering degree it takes longer to take the principles and practices exam. However, study now, take review classes and the fundamentals of engineering exam as soon as possible. This is best done near graduation. It is much harder four years later.

Later you may take whichever P&P exam that you study for and feel qualified if permitted by the state. Passing the FE/EIT exam in any state should permit obtaining a PE in most other states. These are national exams.

Ron my state requires 7 years engineering experience for an ABET accredited TAC degree, I meet that with my BSEET versus 4 years with an ABET accredited EAC degree. I am working as an electrical engineer with an MEP firm. I can live with needing 3 additional years of experience what I don't get is some states wont accept my professional licensee. I think if it was up solely to the NCEES I wouldn't be able to become a PE as the states seem to be able to make up there requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back