Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Article by Structural Engineers Assoc. on SE exams 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with JAE. The states depend on NCEES to provide and grade these tests. So unless they want to develop their own exams (some used to), they have very little choice.

I don't know if it's where I'm located or what, but I know VERY few engineers who have taken the time to take the SEII. I don't know if that's a result of the test being difficult or the fact that it's not required to practice in our state.
Should all of us who are going to be taking the new exam expect this exam to be difficult since it is intended to make up for the SEI, SEII, and state-specific exams? I was feeling very good about taking the SEI and didn't feel like I'd much trouble passing it with little effort, but this new test has me a bit worried - especially since I'll be taking it the first time it's offered. I'm eligible to take the SEI in the Fall of '10, but I intended to take the SEII after that. Since I won't be able to take the SEII after that, I'm going to wait the six months and take the new exam.

StructuralEIT,
Take the civil PE exam in Fall 2010 to get your PE, then sit for the Structural exam the next spring.

As far as I understand, the new SE exam is to become licensed as an SE, not a PE. The new exam is only going to be mandatory for people in states that require licensure as an SE to do structural engineering. I really believe (and hope) that more states will require the exams in the future, but for now the more important thing is the PE license.

I'm in GA, and will be sitting for the PE exam this fall, and I do plan to take the new SE exam in 2011, but that's only because I really like structural engineering and studying for tests late into the night.

SEIT,
I'm in the exact same situation you are in. I will be first eligible to sit for the PE exam in Fall 2010, the last time that the Structural PE will be offered as it currently exists.

I agree completely with Whiffle that you should sit for your PE in the fall, then take the SE. The only difference is that I would say to take Structural I in the fall; if you're planning to get the SE, it will be a good stepping stone and at the very least good practice for the 16-hr SE. The PE is what is required in most states, and there are too many unknowns that come with the new 16-hr SE exam: how tough will it be?, will states recognize it?, etc.

steellion,

I don't recommend taking the SEI. If you plan to become licensed as a SE, you should take the Civil exam in 2010 to get PE licensed. In the future if you want to get licensed as a SE, some states require to have passed the Civil exam first before applying for SE licensure. The SEI does nothing for you at this point. Lame Duck exam.

ARLORD - can you cite which states require a PE prior to getting an SE? I think California might but I'm not aware of any others.

Not sure if Wyoming is correct in JAEs link? My Wyoming stamp says I'm a Professional Engineer (Structural).

JAE

I believe Nevada requires the civil PE in addition to the SEI and SEII exams to be licensed as a SE...along with Idaho as well. (I think) (CA, WA and OR might as well)

Neffers

I can't take the Civil PE. I've never done ANY civil work and had no civil courses in college outside of fluid mechanics, surveying, and structural classes.

ARLORD,
If that's the case, then I'm really in a predicament. I've never taken a Civil class in my life. My degree is in Architectural Engineering, with a specialization in Structural Engineering. I really don't have the desire to teach myself all of the non-structural related civil concepts that would be on a Civil PE if I'm never going to use them.

I called Nevada the other day because I am an SE in California and asked about reciprocity. They have just changed their law to not have to be a civil PE in order to apply for the SE. Therefore no civil exam is required for the SE in NV now.

akastud

StructuralEIT, Steellion:
Currently the Civil exam is 1/2 breadth and 1/2 localized knowledge. The breadth portion is 20% structural. The localized knowledge portion could be 100% structural if you choose. So if your civil emphasis is Structural, 1/2 + 1/5*1/2 = 60% of the exam can be taken as totally Structural meterial (with 10% each for construction, geotech, transportation, and hydrology). It's probably not as bad as it seems for a structural engineer.

A little less. You left out environmental in the AM--or has that now been broken out into a separate exam?

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Don't worry if you have not taken any civil courses, an ex-coworker of mine was an arch-engr major and he took the civil-str and not only passed but did well in 2003. I was impressed until I took the civil-str exam in april 09, I did not study any civil stuff, I purchased the civil review manual and used it only during the exam. The morning is civil bredth which includes structural, soils and construction. The afternoon is all structural. With that you can pass. If you know your structural you will ace the afternoon, just shoot for the str, soils and constr morning questions and you will pass. To better you chances you can study the other civil subjects in the review manual. I think I did 95%afternoon and 50% morning and passed.

Yes, Nevada requires Civil PE prior to SE licensure. There are others like CA. There are others but I am not sure.

In addition to jt12's statement. If you are a structural engineer, I would guess you should be able to figure out a decent portion of the construction engineering based on being able to do quantity calcs. Plus if you have done any foundation design, this will help with the geotech part.

My boss doesn't want his structural engineers to take the "easy" way out by taking the Civil PE. :)

Of course, if that's the only way to eventually earn an SE, that would be a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back