Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AS 3920.1 definition of plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasimmehdi

Mechanical
Jul 14, 2008
US
I was going thru the equipment/design registration requirements of Western Australia. They use "Plant" word for equipment. I am not able to find out what document defines "plant". I am sure it covers more than pressure vessels. Is someone aware of Australian definition of "Plant"?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The definition of plant will vary slightly from state to state. In Queensland plant includes "machinery, equipment, appliance, pressure vessel, implement and tool".

You will need to check the actual definition in the WA legislation.

Thanks DavidOC!

Are you aware of any typical document (name of documet or clause) of the legislation which could provide actual definition of "Plant"?

Application 100 used to come with explanatory notes that listed each type of plant, the relevant design standard and sections of the OSH regulations. I can post it if you like?

Thanks EngAddict!

In reference to Form 100, I also wanted to confirm my understanding about design verification and registration.

Is form 100/101 and AS3920.1 requirement of equipment registration same?

kasimmehdi

Form 100 is the application form for design registration. If you are registering pressure equipment design, an independent design verification to AS 3920.1 is required.

AS 3920.1 only applies to pressure equipment - not to other types of plant that need design registration.

Requirement for design verification is dependent on hazard level, see table 2.1.

Registration of an item of plant is not related to design verification, it will generally be handled by the end user. Design registration can be handled by the verifier, or another party such as owner, manufacturer, designer, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back