AS3600 Boundary elements in moderately ductile shear walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

li0ngalahad

Structural
May 10, 2013
AU
Hi all,

I had a discussion with a colleague about the requirements for boundary elements in limited and moderately ductile shear walls. According to the code, boundary elements are required wherever the peak stress in the wall exceeds 0.15 f'c. The debate revolves around which earthquake load should be used for this check: the elastic load (mu=1, Sp=1) or the design earthquake load (mu=2; mu=3 and Sp=0.77; Sp=0.67). The code states, "The stress referred to in Item (b) shall be calculated using the design action effects for the strength limit state, a linear-elastic strength model, and the gross cross-section properties of the wall." This seems to imply that the reduced forces should be used, not the elastic forces, which has always been my understanding.

My colleague noted a potential issue: if a limited ductile wall requires boundary elements because the stress exceeds 0.15 f'c, the structure could be reclassified as a moderately ductile wall system. This reclassification would significantly reduce the earthquake design actions, potentially bringing the stress below 0.15 f'c, and thus not requiring boundary elements. This creates a paradox where a shear wall with higher assumed ductility would require fewer boundary elements than one with lower assumed ductility, which doesn't seem logical.

This raises the question of whether we should assess this stress based on the fully elastic response (mu=1, Sp=1), similar to the process when checking if any portion of the wall experiences tension (which requires designing the wall as a column). The problem is that the code specifically advises against this!

Another point to consider, which could help resolve the above paradox, is the interpretation of clause 14.7.1 (b), which states, "Moderately ductile structural walls shall conform with Clauses 14.6 except [...] in Clause 14.6.2 all vertical reinforcement in boundary elements shall be restrained in accordance with Clause 14.5.4 irrespective of the calculated compressive stress." This could be interpreted so that boundary elements need to be detailed at all levels, at all wall ends, corners, and intersections, even where compression forces are minimal.

I've always interpreted this clause to mean that, for moderately ductile walls, detailing according to 14.5.4 applies without distinguishing between 0.2 f'c and 0.15 f'c, but the boundary element zone would still be designed only as the zone where stress exceeds 0.15 f'c. However, this discussion has left me uncertain, and I wonder if the clause implies that boundary elements are required everywhere, even for stresses below 0.15 f'c. If so, what should be the length of the boundary element if no stress check is required? Should it be the greater of 0.15 Lw and 1.5 bw, as per the critical tension zone for minimum longitudinal reinforcement? The code and commentary don't seem to specify this at any point.

I'd appreciate your views on this and how you interpret these clauses in the code.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not agree with this part. I think the neutral axis depth should be based on the the analysis specified in 16.6.2.1.

By this definition the entirety of every wall in any structure will be restrained as a boundary element. Being based on the gross section the neutral axis is always going to be in the centre of a wall, and you'll need to restrain both sides of the axis since the load acts in both directions.

To tackle the possible paradox of MDW to require less boundary elements tha LDW, personally I would choose to conservatevly do the 0.15 f'c check based on mu=2 and Sp=0.77, which is definitley not a code requirement, but would guarantee MDW to have the same amount of boundary region as LDW and likely a bit more (due to the neutral axis depth calculation as a minimum boundary element lenght).

Having to establish boundary elements based on a lower mu value hints to me that something is wrong. The "paradox" still feels to me like a problem in the logic of designing boundary elements to a reduced stress. Looking at the neutral axis seems more consistent - I can't imagine a likely scenario where the stress is greater than 0.15f'c for mu = 2 that wouldn't still be in the compression zone for mu = 3 (even for a transformed cracked section).

The neutral axis depth shall be the one for the cracked elastic wall section (transformed area method), independent from the actions on the wall but only based on geometry, stiffness and reinforcement. This would comply with figure C14.6.2.2 in the commentary, I believe.

Intuitively this feels relatively safe. The figure in the commentary doesn't show the neutral axis in the centre of the wall so it appears to be assuming a cracked section of some kind. Coincidentally very convenient for establishing boundary element lengths throughout a job as it doesn't require checking based on loads.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why yes, I do in fact have no idea what I'm talking about

I see I should have refreshed the page between loading this thread and when I posted, looks like some of what I said has been discussed in that time hahaha

Also, looking at other codes (EC, NZS) the neutral axis depth considered when determining the boundary element region is generally calculated at ultimate limit state, never for the "uncracked" gross section.

Had the same thought looking at the EN figure posted above showing the typical strain graph and boundary length. It also seems a bit more intuitive to my eyes that we're installing boundary elements based on the concrete strain of spalling rather than stresses compared to the concrete strength, though the latter is probably much easier for workflow.

JSN, glad it seems we are more or less on the same page on this

Just Some Nerd said:
Having to establish boundary elements based on a lower mu value hints to me that something is wrong. The "paradox" still feels to me like a problem in the logic of designing boundary elements to a reduced stress. Looking at the neutral axis seems more consistent - I can't imagine a likely scenario where the stress is greater than 0.15f'c for mu = 2 that wouldn't still be in the compression zone for mu = 3 (even for a transformed cracked section).

Yes but doing so we are saying boundary elements should be detailed at all walls and at all levels, all the way up to roof - it seems a bit excessive. Maybe it could be avoided for the levels where cracking does not occour with mu=1 Sp=1, indicating these levels will not experience any kind of not only plastic hinge but also cracking whatsoever... not sure, I'll have to give this a bit more thought

but doing so we are saying boundary elements should be detailed at all walls and at all levels, all the way up to roof

Remember that boundary elements are only required at discontinuous edges. So for a lift shaft, they would only be around the door openings.

Retrograde said:
Remember that boundary elements are only required at discontinuous edges. So for a lift shaft, they would only be around the door openings.

mmmh...the more I look into this the less I am convinced this is right

I have found few instances where the definition of "end zones" and "boundary regions" is applied to compound walls corners and wall instersections.

For example
Screenshot_2024-08-08_155731_dlzs8w.png
Screenshot_2024-08-08_155737_vbqanm.png
Screenshot_2024-08-08_155628_g3csjy.png

ALso, his is the definition of "end zones" in NZS 3101 (although I admit these zones do not really apply to boundary regions, rather to the minimum reinforcement zones)

Screenshot_2024-08-08_145240_vsme9n.png

In any case, to me this makes sense and I am more inclined to assume corners and intersecitons as discontinuity regions and end zones, not just free ends and door locations, especially in absence of a clear definition of these in the code.

Yes I know that thread, I even commented on it :) however I dont see any references to the claim that a discontinuous edge is only at free ends and doors, just some other people saying what is their understanding.

Generally speaking, I believe geometric discontinuities are not limited to a geometry "ends" but more broadly to abrupt changes in geometry that lead to stress concentrations. A corner of a core wall and sometimes also simple wall intersections definitely experience stress concentrations, therefore I am more comfortable considering those for boundary element detailing, until proven otherwise.
I 'd be stoked if I didnt need to worry about boundary elements detailing at core corners, however until I see some sort of clear definition or reference, personally Id prefer to keep it conservative.

RAPT who posted 6th in that topic was on the AS3600 committee.

As long as the connection of the joining walls is detailed properly, the transverse wall would provide the "boundary element" for a closed core box.

But you would have to look at conditions at doors, lift openings etc where there is a discontinuous edge.

I know, but I'm not going take a forum comment itself as a reliable source and consider it the official position of the committee.
I don't know, the idea that I can have basically a whole core with boundary elements only around doors doesn't sit too well with me. But maybe it's just me...
Hopefully the draft for the new code will come out soon and we will be able to seek official clarification on this, and other things, I have a long list of questions and comments ready for that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back