AS3600 - CL14.6.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gishin1

Structural
Jun 24, 2019
AU
Hi there

Can anyone confirm that CL14.6.2 only applies to isolated shear walls with "discontinuous edges", and does not apply to walls within a closed core box?

I find that CL14.6.2.3 is quite onerous that where stress exceeds 0.15f'c, all verticals bars needing restraint. But then in a closed box, stress could be double that amount and not require restraint?

I guess it makes sense as an isolated wall will be more likely to fail in stability, so the compression rules only apply to them, but the tension reinforcement rules apply to both boxes and isolated walls to achieve ductility.

In this sense, for ductile core boxes, these walls are designed as columns, but don't necessarily need restraint if CL11.7.4 is satisfied. But then CL11.7.4 says that all walls must be restrained in accordance with CL14.6?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought I'd try to put my money where my mouth is and checked Open Universities for any EQ/seismic courses - nothing.

There do appear to be EQ design courses at undergraduate level but perhaps they're electives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back