Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

AS5216 Apply to cast-in anchors (e.g. HD Bolts)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tally25

Structural
Sep 11, 2017
AU
Hi,

I believe there is some ambiguity relating to AS5216 and whether this standard applies to the design of cast-in anchor bolts. The title of the standard seems to suggest that it applies to all cast-in fasteners, however the scope section of the standard explicity mentions cast-in anchor channels only.

The reason I bring this up is that recently I have been using the connection design software Idea Statica to design a column base plate with significant tension/uplift forces through it, and that uses cast-in hold down bolts to fix the base plate to the concrete. I noticed the Idea Statica was telling me that my anchors were failing tension checks (steel failure). On closer review of the calcs I noticed that Idea Statica was using AS5216 to check the anchor bolts. I subsequently found the attached notes on the Idea Statica website discussing why they use AS5216. They mention that SA TS 101:2015 (the technical document that AS5216 eventually replaced) specifically mentioneds cast-in anchors, however when I look at the scope section of that document, it explicity states that it only applies to post-fixed anchors and cast-in anchor channels. This is also the case in AS5216 as seen in the attached screenshot. To be honest I think AS5216 does use the term 'cast-in fastener' rather loosely.

The major difference between using AS5216 or AS4100 when checking the tension capacity of HD anchor bolts capacity has to do with the capacity reduction factor. AS4100 (and consequently the ASI Connection Design Guides) uses a fixed capacity reduction factor value of 0.8 for bolt tension checks. AS5216 uses an equation that proportions the capacity reduction factor based on the yield strength and UTS of the bolt. For a grade 4.6 HD bolt the reduction factor comes out to 0.5. That makes a huge difference to the bolt tension capacity between the two standards!

So my question is what standard do you use for your cast-in anchor bolt design? I tend to use AS4100 for bolt steel checks, and AS5216 for concrete checks.

ideaStaticaNotes_pdimcf.jpg

AS5216scope_lh2et9.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i havent checked and happy to stand corrected : i also thought that cast-in bolts were not within the scope of AS5216. I had always used the ASI connection guides. i follow the logic of using AS4100 / AS5216 and reducing the tensile strength of a bolt to less than that in a steel connection doesnt immediately ring true. notwithstanding, i am generally pretty cautious of any 'code shopping'. I'm curious to see other replies to this.

Having a look at section 19.3 of AS3600...seems to point towards AS 3850.1 Appendix B for cast-in fixings. Don't have a copy of that standard on hand but seems an odd standard for it

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why yes, I do in fact have no idea what I'm talking about

AS 3600 pointing at AS 3850.1 for cast-in fixings (anchor bolts) always seemed wrong to me. The appendix in AS 3850.1 follows basically the same method as AS 5216, but is for single cast-in lifting points and has no coverage of anchor groups as would be typically required for anchor bolts in a baseplate.

In 2018, AEFAC published a paper that extends the rules of SA TS 101 (and AS 5216) by providing design guidance for cast-in headed and hooked fasteners. This is what I have been using for anchor bolts.

Link

The paper is called 'Design of cast-in headed and hooked fasteners' by Heath, Lee, King, Gad & Eligehausen.

No clue why AS 5216 doesn't include these kinds of anchors in the actual standard, the Eurocode EN 1992-4 (which is almost identical to AS 5216) includes all types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back