Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Asking for Parallel or Series Pump Configuration

Wayne _ Lunar

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2023
VN
Hi all,

I am working on a pump system based on the 2 configuration shown in the attached sketch. I have a question that I hope you can help clarify.

For Sketch 1, which shows a parallel configuration, I understand that the pressure at Point 3 will match either P1 or P2, depending on which has the higher pressure. The water flow at Point 3 will be the sum of the flows from P1 and P2.

However, for Sketch 2, I am unsure whether it is a parallel or series configuration. My understanding is that it represents a series configuration, where the pressure at Point 3 would be the sum of P1 and P2, and the water flow remains constant throughout.

Could you confirm if this is correct? Additionally, if the water flow or pressure at P2 is greater than P1 in Sketch 2, are there any specific considerations to keep in mind?

Thank you!

z5955096520984_c713f89498329753a2d76a583bf639cd_uotiyv.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming the pump bypass is always open(as you have shown), the flow will be divided, and the pump P2 head should match the pressure drop across the filter. Pressure at P2 then is greater than P1 by an amount which is the pressure drop across the filter. At connection point P3, the pressure will be almost equal to P2.

But the configuration is not called series configuration, but rather side-stream or bypass filtration.

Engineers, think what we have done to the environment !

Sketch 1, P 1, 2 and 3 are essentially the same. If these are centrifugal pumps it's easy for one pump to back out the second it be 90/10 in terms of flow. You need to know the pump curve very well.

All you can say about the second is that the flow will be whatever goes through P1.

P2 will simply run right off the end of the curve and contribute very little pressure increase before it destroys itself.

So p3 will be P1 plus P2, but P2 will be much lower than you think. Unless that non return provided a high level of flow resistance. [pre][/pre]

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Sketch 1: P1=P2=P3, Q1+Q2=Q3
Sketch 2: P1=P3, P2 looks like pump 2 discharge pressure: P2=P3+pressure drop across resistance. Q1=Q3, Q2 depends on Pump 2 curve and flow resistance

ETA: Sketch 2 isn't parallel or series with regards to the pumps, this is an example of a primary/secondary arrangement.

Back