Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Asking help for mobility of wheeled extinguisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnCorner

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2017
KR
Hi. I'm newbie of fire protection engineer of chemical plants.
I designed the location of wheeled fire extinguishers outdoor near process equipment.
And then, I checked lately that pavement around wheeled extinguisher and process equipment is all gravel.
So, wheeled extinguishers seem impossible to be moved by personnel.

The site of plant is very wide, so there are many wheeled extinguishers. It is difficult to install pavement all around process equipment
only because of wheeled fire extinguisher.

I tried to find various type of fire extinguisher and I found that some types of wheeled extinguisher have
bigger wheels on extinguisher. I think it may move on gravel but it is just my guess so mobility is uncertain.

I have to change the type of wheeled extinguisher and persuade OWNER of this project.

Is there any information of wheeled extinguisher that can move on gravel?
Please provide any information if you have any opinion regarding this problem.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. Choosing larger wheel type is possible now.
Do you have any experience that utilizing wheeled extinguisher on gravel pavement??
or any information that can guarantee the mobility of wheeled extinguisher on gravel?

What he said::

A couple other thoughts, been around them

1. What are you trying to protect with them?

2. How much fire do you think they will take care of?? With a less than a minute discharge

3. Not sure they are really supposed to be moved that much. 300 plus pounds

4. One hundred feet of hose.
Will have to look up spacing criteria, guess will be hose length and maybe spray distance

Any other type of fixed fire protection or other??

I have experience, but there is way too much information missing to answer.

What kind of gravel?
How heavy is the unit?
How many people trying to move it?
Straight pull or turning?

As stated, they are not designed to go far. Just pull out of an area to reach better.

I would be more interested in trying to get traction in gravel, alone, with a 300# unit regardless of the wheels.

R/
Matt

I have to assume that you have trained fire brigades, the local fire department has visited your site and would be prepared to tackle problems and that fire hydrants are available. Since pneumatic tires seems to be acceptable,may be towing these units with all terrain vehicles can be further of an improvement.

You are right, the wheels has to be tested, the wheeldiameter and the consistency of the particular gravel is the key.

A wheeled extinguisher will provide better protection for a developed fire, but if you check the standard specifications, for medium or small units, compared to handhelds there is no big diffence in UL rating or dischage time. So depending, on the particular risk of course,changing a wheeled with good handheld units may provide better protection with much less money.

It is recommended to not to rely only on big units, handheld will be used faster, and can be brought near the area for inmediate use during a risky operation, so if the first response is the key, one or two units will provide a better protection than a wheeled for less money, also the human reaaction time for planning, transport and hose operation takes a precious time that may make it innefective for the first stages,

Trainig is the most important issue. Ask anybody that has seen a trained person controlling a fire compared to a novice. It is easier (and cheaper) to develop a good real training system of for more workers with handheld units, i[ve never seen people discharging a wheeled unit for training. If its not your case, congratulations.

External cartridge will be more reliable, it is easier to control the quality of the powder and develop an effective inspection and powder replacement program.

If flamable liquids is your stuff, consider that using purple K is better that regular BC, and much better than ABC

For example, i[d shurely prefer to attend quickly a fire with two purple-k 20lbs 120BC/28sec units, than to go for a wheeled unit and extend the hose of one 125lbs 120BC/30sec ABC stored pressure wheeled unit that cost a fortune.

Watch out for your investment. A wheeled ABC 125lbs unit of stored pressure will look similar to a pK 150lbs N2 external cylinder wheeled unit, but the protection difference is huge.

The wheeled may give you a false sense of security, it has limitations, only a good fixed water based system will control a developed fire.

Dont misundertstood me, this does not apply for all cases, only you know your conditions, just some points to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back