Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

asking help on catia V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

catiasoma

Aerospace
Jan 9, 2001
US

Hi every body I have question about catia V5 if some body can give idea I thinking to attend catia V5 training and pay for it on my own I work in aviation and I want to get in design field, I do not know if it’s good idea in this economy but I see now allot of new adds for catia v5.
They’re any idea

Thank you every body

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi there,

You are correct that V5 is getting very popular. It will pretty much be the standard CAD software programme in Aerospace in the next few years so training won't be wasted.

I don't know if you're in United States or over in Europe, but I hear that Airbus UK has said they won't be paying for training their staff. Typical tight-fisted BAe

Thank you I am in USA, because I work in aviation some contracts company’s called me and ask me if I have catia V5 so that I think to have catia training and I asked that question.

THANKS.

The SAE has some on line courses for new CATIA 5 users. Also if you sign up for a course at a local college make sure that it is an "approved" training site. If it is IBM will sell you a full seat for about $300. The software will run for one year on a Windows XP machine. Machine specs should be high, "take a bat out of hell and set fire to its tail" to get decent performance.

Monitor, traditional CRT, 19 inch minimum. I got a lot of ghosting on a desktop LCD, laptop worked fine. If I recall correctly you need to be on a LAN to do the install., no problem for me as I have a wired LAN at home.

My view of CATIA 5 is that it is a lot easier than 4 to use, all your data remains in one file set no more renaming files etc . . . Almost user friendly.

Rgds

Allan

Would Solidworks be a good alternative?
I ask because I can't find Catia courses in my city, but a couple of companies teach SW, and I'm considering signing up.

STF

moma:

There is a big difference between taking a CATIA V5 class and actually being proficient at using CATIA V5. I work for large aerospace company, and we use both CATIA V4 and V5. Personally, I still prefer V4, but I have been using V5 for about 2 years now. It took me about 6 months (8 hours per day) to become proficient with the basic modelling, assembly & surfacing functions. CATIA is a VERY powerful design and analysis tool, and as such, it has literally dozens of application modules. It would take you a lifetime to learn them all.

In a tight labor market, it is doubtful any employer would hire you without at least 1000 hrs experince with a particular CAD software. However, you've got to start somewhere, so good luck with your training and job hunting.

Here's a good CATIA refernce:
Regards,
Terry

Hello,
I have a friend in mechanical who knows about this book. Check it out! The book is called: "Catia V5 Workbook" by Richard Cozzens. There are different versions, so make sure that you get the correct version for your release of catia. This is a self learning book and it is supposed to be excellent. You can order it through Barnes and Noble online.
:)

Coka

"The SAE has some on line courses for new CATIA 5 users. Also if you sign up for a course at a local college make sure that it is an "approved" training site. If it is IBM will sell you a full seat for about $300."

So are you saying that if you are enrolled in an approved CATIA course at a college, you can get a one yr seat of V5 for 300 bucks?

The are a few online training companies where you logon to their CATIA system via something like terminal services. This is great because you do not need a seat of CATIA$$$.
I believe CADPO is one of them, however I cannot remember the web address off the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back