Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B16.48 Steel Line Blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCG1

Mechanical
Oct 10, 2006
US
For hydrotesting pipe, I am using blanks (or skillets, pancakes, paddels, etc)to seal off at the flanges. Our company has standard tables in place for determining the wall thickness of the blank; however the numbers aren't jiving with the equation in ASME B31-3.

Some supplementary ASME material I found says that "blanks used for test purposes are not subject to these design standards.....often people test to 90% of SMYS"

Okay, so I plugged in 90% of SMYS and still can't confirm the values.

Anyone know what the excepted design standard (or equation) is for "test" blanks?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The thickness for blanks per the formula in 31.3 would be calculated for the design pressure of the system. (using allowable stress at design temperature from table A-1)

In general, a blank designed this way would be good for at least 1.5x the design pressure during hydrotest, provided the yield stress is not exceeded. (hydro pressure = design pressure x 1.5 x allowable stress at test temp / allowable stress at design temp)

BCG1...

Give us some specific examples from your tablec and we can take a look at them.

Consider posting this question in the "Boiler and Pessure Vessel" forum..

ASME B31.1 has slightly difrenet requirements for these blanks and the allowable stress values have changed over the years.

-MJC

jp1989,
Paddle blind is a half spectacle, the full ring part. Advantages: less weight to handle and less space needed to install (so for the bigger sizes).

For calculation of thicknesses I also refer to formula in ASME B31.3.
Remark: corrosion allowance can be added on one or two sides of spectacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back