Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASME B16.5 flange dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepeuy

Mechanical
Jul 20, 2008
UY
Hi, everyone.

I have an issue with two different flanges, both are for NPS 1".

The thing is, that for 300# and 600# in the code both have the same dimensions. The 300# flange have the material and rating stamped on it but the other one doesn't.

Is there anyway of knowing for sure if I have a 600# flange?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to ASME B16.5 sect. 4.2.3 Rating Designation "The flange or flanged fitting shall be marked with the number that corresponds to its pressure rating clanss designation (i.e., 150, 300, 400, 600, 900, 1500, or 2500)"

If the flange is not marked it is not a B16.5 flange, but rather a "flange like object". If any flanges for a system I designed came in with no pressure class markings they would be returned at suppliers expense. At the very least they would be a paperwieght on my desk, I would never allow thier installation into a high pressure system.

Strongly agree with ColonelSanders83 - I would not use any component that did not have the correct markings. In my experience, if they don't have the right markings you can't trust anything else about them (e.g., materials).

Looks as though pepeuy is looking at the 1996 version. Although the values in the table are the same, there is a crucial difference in the meaning of the "C" value in the table: You need to look at the figure corresponding to each table – they are not the same. The raised face thickness is included on the CL-300 version; it is not included on the CL-600 version. Given that the “customarily supplied” height of raised face for a CL-300 flange is 1/16”, well, the numbers work out.

However, without a B16 marking, as noted in previous notes, it is not a B16.5 flange. It is a boat anchor. Well, a small one.

ColonelSanders83 said:
I have the 2007 eddition of ASME B16.5…
Eh? did I miss something? The 2009 edition claims to be a revision of the 2003 edition… Perhaps there was a 2007 Addenda that I was not aware of?

jt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back